Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hype?

hype?

Richard,
    With my glasses on and the .58 viewfinder on the M6, the 35mm framelines are easily visible, give that a try.

hype?

Folding the film leader into a tiny "W" (or "M") simplifies loading the Leica M. You shove the crimped part up into the takeup spool, and the tulip on the bottom plate does the rest. This isn't necessary in most cases, but can be a lot of help if you have to load quickly or in the dark.

hype?

Richard, I would not spend the cash on an M system Leica unless you have a chance to use one for a bit. They are really not for everyone.

Personally, I love them and have been using them for years. I currently own a new MP and an M6, as well as two M3's. My lenses range from 21mm to 50mm. I had several versions of the 90mm but found that I preferred SLR cameras for aything over 50mm. These are serious little cameras for reportage-style photography. I currently use them for only black and white work. I prefer the compact 35mm and 50mm Summicron lenses over the very fast Summilux types. The bokeh of the 35mm lens I use, the generation just before the current ASPH versions, is distinctive and special.

I have a Mamiya 7 6x7 system as well as an Ebony 45s 4x5 for MF and LF use; these are used in tandem, one for handheld and the other for tripod work. The Leica is a totally diferent animal. The old adage of horses for courses applies. I have owned or used all versions of the Canon EOS 1 series cameras, including the film and digital bodies, as well as all the premium lenses, some from loans from Canon pro services; the same for Nikon (I worked as an AP photo bureau chief and as a newspaper staff photographer for several years). The current and previous generation Leica glass is superior, IMHO. The only lenses comparable to the Leica that I have used are the Mamiya 7 series glass, such as the 80mm and 43mm, both of which I own.

I don't feel that you will regret buying a Leica. For me there is nothing else quite like an M camera. It is as pure a photographic tool as one can use.

hype?

One more point to throw into the mix: the M series cameras are the only ones I've been able to use left-eyed successfully.

I wholeheartedly agree with Roger - don't go and invest in the M system without using it first. As he says, it's absolutely stellar at being what it is, but it's not some sort of panacea. If it doesn't match the sort of photography you do, it's just not going to be for you.

hype?

You are all being exceedingly helpful. I don't know where I can borrow/rent one as I don't know anyone who owns one. I think the biggest problem, as I remember, was that taking off and putting on glasses in order to make a photograph just doesn't seem an option. I am handicapped; I only have two hands, and by the time I take off the glasses etc. it's all over. My eyes used to be wonderful, but now walking around without glasses is not very comfortable. Contact lenses? There has to be a limit somewhere. Maybe I should attend Paul's workshop and steal his Leica? I'd given up on that as arising before sunrise is no longer in my repertoire. Come to think of it, attending a LF workshop to learn about Leica is nearly as perverse an activity as some others I have engaged in. Enough free associating! I will contact Paul otherwise. And again, many many thanks to all!

hype?

I recently sold a contax G system. The lenses are as good or better than Leitz glass and a hell of a lot cheaper. There is an excellent comparison of Leitz and Zeiss G glass on www.photodo.com.

I quite shooting 35mm and my hand camera is now Hasselblad. When Tech Pan disappeared, I could no longer get B&W quality I wanted. Color print quality was never really good.

I would suggest if you are willing to spend the money for a new leica, consider a haselblad and equilivent lenses. The Blad is not much heavier than a Leica(in my case Contax G) and the film results are markedly better. I still have a bunch of film nikons and lenses but I have not used then in about 5 years.

If you are thinking about the camera as a future investmente, I'd suggest you might look into Investment grade Rolex Watches. Much better investments and much greater snob appeal! So far I have 4 and love then as ultra precision machines. The four are worth $30-40k and the prices keep rising, 25% in the last 4 years.

Another option is the up coming Zeiss Ikon. I have been talking with some insiders and the new lenses being produced are going to make all current 35mm lenses look very bad. But it is still 35mm.

Been there and done that. I tried for 25 years to make 35mm look like 4x5, so I've tried most everything in the way of exotic films and developers.

The best of all film worlds would be gigabitfilm in 120. But we may never see it as Ludwig can not get backing to produce it. He needs $120,000 to produce it and no one is interested in backing any new film ventures.

hype?

hey gene, look on the bright side... if you wait a few more years, maybe you can bankroll the film with some of your rolexes.