Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographing while drunk or stoned

Photographing while drunk or stoned

Dan,

As operating a camera that requires quite a bit of attention to detail maybe an alternative would be to visualize while in an altered state and document the visualization for completion later while you are clear headed. I believe the important and possibly the most difficult part would be the discipline to write down your observations and thoughts and then be able to later understand the concepts put forth.

Or consider a two person approach one stoned for the creative and alternative interpretaion the the other straight to make the picture.

I'm available as the straight photgrapher ;-)

-bob

To me it makes more sense to go the other way, so I use coffee. I would guess that speed might be even better, but I've never tried it. Has anybody else?

Only when shooting weddings : )

How many of you actively photograph while inebriated?

Never, not even once. There've been a few times I considered becoming inebriated after seeing what I brought home...

A few observations...

Much has been written about "making art" while stoned. A whole generation grew up thinking that you could play guitar like Hendrix of only you took some acid. Nope.

It's easier to create junk than good work. Being inebriated makes it easier to create junk, in my opinion. It may also dislodge the occasional jewel. It's up to you to be able to tell the difference.

In the end, what you bring back from such an experience depends on what kind of mind you had in the first place.

Actively photograph, no. Inactively photograph, yes.

Thanks, guys--for reminding me why I'm still stickin' with root beer and fresh air.

I am of the generation whose sole idea of "drugs" was Vicks Vapo-Rub and Ex-Lax. For obvious reasons, we rarely abused those.

Used to smoke my pipe (with customed-blended Latakia tobacco) until they took it away from me in the Cardiac Care Unit. Still, it was interesting under the dark cloth. And I've noticed my prints much less diffuse, now that the tiny darkroom isn't filled with smoke.

Then there's Jim Beam and Jack Daniel's, but only Apres Photography. Too expensive to imbibe during work. Only when, like the wealthy plumber, I feel flush.

Perhaps we could start a thread about photographing during a senior moment?

I used to drink a lot of brandy while in the dark room. I wonder why so many of the prints from those years have faded and discolored.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

"I feel bad for people that don't drink; when they wake up they know that's the best that they're going to feel all day."
    --Chairman of the Board