Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Lens Set for 4x5 Field Camera - Choices

Two Lens Set for 4x5 Field Camera - Choices

On top of everything else I seem to have gotten involved in with getting back in to film photography, I have a Nagaoka 4x5 field that I want to equip with a two lens set for a lightweight kit. I'm looking for some movement capability for use in the field, low cost and weight. (Gee, that isn't too much, is it!) An additional consideration is that the camera only has 11 inches of bellows draw. This should translate to 279mm. Using a quick bit of math, a 210mm lens should let me focus down to roughly 3 feet or so. An additional factor is that the lens board is only 92mm square. With that in mind, here are some candidates I'm considering in order to meet these goals:

Kodak Ektar 203mm f/7.7 (Supermatic)
    Goerz Dagor 5" f/6.8 (Rapax) (Should give some good coverage)
    Goerz Red Dot Artar 8 1/4 in f/9 (Compur shutter) (Not sure about the coverage on this)
    Kodak Wide Field Ektar 135mm f/6.3 (Supermatic)
    Wollensak 4 1/4in f/6.8 Raptar Wide Angle (Rapax)

I've looked at things like the 8 1/2in Commercial Ektar, between weight and size of the shutter, do not know how well this might work.

I open to suggestions, certainly, since I am still dealing with a very steep learning curve on all of this.

Thanks,

Ed

Re: Two Lens Set for 4x5 Field Camera - Choices

What do you want to photograph? If landscape then I'd say the Dagor and the Ektar. But I sure use a 135mm often.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    What do you want to photograph? If landscape then I'd say the Dagor and the Ektar. But I sure use a 135mm often.
    Good point, and I should have mentioned that, Kevin! What I'm in tending to do with this outfit is general landscape. One thing I like to do is take photos of some of the smaller towns in the midwest, etc. One image that comes to mind is an old fashioned hardware store with the wringer washing machine in the window. I need to get back there with some good black and white around sundown on a weekend. Kind of reminiscent of some of the FSA photos of Walker Evans. Another favorite is David Plowden. Hope this helps a bit....

Ed

Do or do not. There is no try.

On the wide side you might consider the 125mm and 135mm "inside lettering" Fujinon W lenses. These are from the first, single-coated series. The 125mm covers 211mm at f/22, the 135mm a bit more. Both are smaller and a few ounces lighter than the 135mm WF Ektar, albeit with less coverage, live in standard #0-size shutters, and take standard filters as opposed to the Ektar's Series filters. I have all three, but the 125mm Fujinon is usually the one in my backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    What do you want to photograph? If landscape then I'd say the Dagor and the Ektar.
    I've always felt that a 210 and a 120 are the two most useful lenses for 4x5, ala Fred Picker!

Eric Woodbury

Just two? 135mm for sure. Mine is a Fujinon (lettering on the outside). Then if you prefer wide, get a 90mm. If you prefer medium, go with 200 to 210mm.

Be careful, buying lenses is addictive.

Of my "more than two, less than two dozen (for now...)" lens collection, if I were to pick just two, with an emphasis on light weight, I'd pick my 125mm/5.6 Fujinon W (single coated, inside lettering, huge coverage) and my 200/8 Nikkor M. Both are tiny, and both are in modern Copal 0 shutters, and with a step-up ring for the Fuji, could take the same filters (I use a Lee hood and square filters, so all my lenses have a Lee adaptor). Older shutters may need a lot of service, even if the seller says "speeds sound accurate," they aren't.

Edit: I just looked on ebay for 200/8 Nikkor M lenses and they're crazy expensive now! I found one 125/5.6 Fujinon in Seiko shutter (just like mine, it's a good shutter) for a reasonable price, plus a couple 180/9 Fujinon A lenses, which is another good compact lens, also for more reasonable prices than the Nikkor-M's.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Eric Woodbury

Love the 200/8 Nikkor M, but they are very pricey.

I have each of these lenses in my 4x5 pack. My favorites are the Dagor, although you might consider a slightly longer 6", and the Wollensak which has better coverage than a similar length Angulon.
    Enjoy

Yeah, the 200mm Nikkor would be nice, but a reasonable price on them now doesn't look likely anytime soon. In the meantime, I've come across a 135mm Schneider Repro-Claron, but have the sinking feeling that this will not offer much coverage at all. Am researching this at this time.

On a lens collection, I know exactly what all of you are talking about. I've also had to get some lenses put together to cover 8x10 and ULF. So, there's already been some negative cash flow! Something that I think all of us can appreciate........

Thanks,

Ed