Thread: Faye Godwin

Faye Godwin

Passed away at age 74.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Faye Godwin

A wonderful photographer and partly responsible for getting me into the sort of photography I do. (no e on Fay btw).

Her photographs of Yorkshire (combined with Ted Hughes poems especially) were very much of the time and the place I grew up.

Her photographs of the "edge of the land" were of where I moved to as a teenager.

While photographing part of the English Coastline she stayed with a friend of my parents on the South Coast. Meeting her on a visit back home really set one course of my own photography I think, looking back now.

Very sad to see her pass

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=fay+godwin

http://www.djclark.com/godwin/
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Faye Godwin

What a shame. Her book "Land" is full of photographs of beauty, power, and meaning. I don't get tired of looking at it.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Faye Godwin

"Land" made a big impression on me too back when I was a student. I always wanted to see her get more attention.

Faye Godwin

Achnahaird Beach. A Homage.

Faye Godwin

A real loss to the photographic world. Fay Godwin "converted" me to black and white after seeing a poster advertising her exhibition for "Land" - it was the haunting, "Flooded Tree - Derwentwater". I became an avid "fan" and followed everything she did - she shot a lot of photos in Wales (where I live) which gave me "direction". Although a confirmed MF user she was an inspiration to many of us who shoot in all sorts of sizes. She will be sadly missed.

Faye Godwin

had no idea she had gone but knew she was of advanced years even when my father brought her to my attention and I am not sure whether he was that fond of her work or just stumbled on a good book for a birthday present for me.. all those years ago.. yep just pulled it from the library shelf June 1986 he gave it to me.. Dad spent quite some time in the old dart as a navigator in Bomber Command and photographed there whilst he was there has some wonderful stuff from back then too which I recently reprinted after his death... all that light from back in 1945.. Land had a profound effect on me.. singular vision that touched a chord with me in that all that is grand and wonderful is indeed small tender and oh so easily walked by... sic transit gloria

www.progalleries.com.au/rojpix

Faye Godwin

She was a great inspiration to me early on. It is sad to see her go.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Faye Godwin

Yes, a big influence on me as well.

Faye Godwin

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but same as John - big influence as I probably said Edge of the Land is still a favourite. And the bokk she did with Ted Hughs - "Elmet" remains another favourite, both the poems and the photographs of the place where I was born and grew up.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog