Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to LF, Lens Question

Re: New to LF, Lens Question

Luis, indeed. How helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by catmando View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to LF, having shot 35mm and MF for about 5 years. I bought an Intrepid 4x5 as it seemed nice, new and light. I also found a Pullin Pulnar 100mm f2.8 mounted on a Copal Press 1 shutter. The price was too good to pass up.
    Maybe you figured out why............

Quote Originally Posted by catmando View Post
    Luis, indeed. How helpful.
    Since it appears from your lens selection that you have little knowledge of LF my advice stands. Hint: follow Leigh's advice and try a 150 mm Schneider Symmar or Rodensrock Sironar or Nikkor or Caltar f/5.6 lens and it will cover.

There is lots and lots of free material on the web on image circles for large format lenses. You need an image circle at least the diameter of the negative diagonal!
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 7-Feb-2017 at 10:46.

The top hat (extended) lens board is inappropriate (and counterproductive) to use with what would be a wide angle lens on 4x5, but that is not your main problem. That lens won't work for 4x5, end of story. If you want wide angle, look for a 90mm Super Angulon (and get a new lens board, possibly recessed one), or go for a normal 4x5 lens focal length like a 150mm. There are plenty to pick from in that range.

Like Leigh, I have never heard of your lens so I googled it. I found that Pullin lenses were used by the British Air Ministry. Most are barrel lenses and were used as projection lenses. Some were found in shutter like yours and everyone seems baffled about what they were used for. An Ebay seller had one in shutter and claimed it would cover 4x5 but of course you can't always believe Ebay Sellers. Just because a lens will illuminate a ground glass does not mean it covers.

Mount it on a recessed board and try it out. Welcome to the forum!

I've seen a couple, both had military markings and were in Prontor press type shutters.

A 100mm f2.8 lens of any type/design isn't going to cover 5x4, however it might cover 6x9 so usable with a roll film back. There are claims that these are very sharp lenses but they aren't common. The Vague Mecum lists two BJPA pages but neither mention this lens.

Ian

From a former thread: The most common Pullin item for collectors is a Pulnar f2.8 100mm (c.4in) slide projector lens, often ex-WD.
    It has M39x26 thread but no iris or focus scale. It was seen at No47,20x. It was an early postwar product,
    (MCM Dec 1946, B.J.A. 1950, p475advert.) The Pulnar was listed in 1955 as made in f2.8, 50, 100, 150mm.
    There is a notice of the Pullin 35mm slide projector in B.J.A. 1947, p188, and the lenses were f2.8 in 8 foci
    from 2in to 6in. They gave excellent definition and clarity. One of these has been reported in alloy and black
    finish at Projection Pulnar f2.8/F=2" (50mm) No F104x.
    As such, I don't think you could expect it to cover more than 2x3 (6x7) if that. It might be OK as a high magnification macro lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    From a former thread: The most common Pullin item for collectors is a Pulnar f2.8 100mm (c.4in) slide projector lens, often ex-WD.
    It has M39x26 thread but no iris or focus scale. It was seen at No47,20x. It was an early postwar product,
    (MCM Dec 1946, B.J.A. 1950, p475advert.) The Pulnar was listed in 1955 as made in f2.8, 50, 100, 150mm.
    There is a notice of the Pullin 35mm slide projector in B.J.A. 1947, p188, and the lenses were f2.8 in 8 foci
    from 2in to 6in. They gave excellent definition and clarity. One of these has been reported in alloy and black
    finish at Projection Pulnar f2.8/F=2" (50mm) No F104x.
    As such, I don't think you could expect it to cover more than 2x3 (6x7) if that. It might be OK as a high magnification macro lens.
    I checked the BJPA references (they are on the bookshelf right by me) no mention of the lenses.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    The top hat (extended) lens board is inappropriate (and counterproductive) to use with what would be a wide angle lens on 4x5, but that is not your main problem. That lens won't work for 4x5, end of story. If you want wide angle, look for a 90mm Super Angulon (and get a new lens board, possibly recessed one), or go for a normal 4x5 lens focal length like a 150mm. There are plenty to pick from in that range.
    Thank you djdister, that makes sense. I shall indeed purchase another lens and board. I am happy with the shutter though, on B&H it goes for over 500 USD and I got it and the lens for 100.

Alan, you're correct. It looks like it will cover 6x9, which is fine for the price.