2K?

Linhof Tech IV maybe

90 / 150/210 lenses

a stack of holders

a sturdy tripod

enough left for a good supply for Gin and Tonics

Eric Woodbury

Re: Hello and Help/Suggestions for first 4x5 setup

I've been buying Fujinon glass. Their 135mm f/5.6 is cheap and wonderful. My favorite of over 10 lenses I'm using.

$2k is a reasonable budget. A Toyo 45A or 45AII outfit can be acquired for roughly this cost. This is was my first setup:

Toyo 45AII camera
    Nikkor 150/5.6 lens
    A few film holders
    Sekonic L758DR light meter

Less expensive light meters can be found that will save some money and do the job just fine.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions, I really appreciate it! All the information really helped me prioritize what I wanted. I've started my progress with getting my system put together. Here's what I've done so far:

Camera: Chamonix 045F1- After looking at a number of used cameras and the prices that they were selling for I decided that I might as well get the one I was really the most interested in from the beginning. I have a fried who has had a Chamonix for a couple of years and he absolutely loves it. I ordered the camera from Hugo and should get it within the next week or two.

Lens #1: Nikkor W 135mm f/5.6 - I wanted something that was on the wider end of normal for my 1st lens and I think a 135mm will probably be a good match for me for a while. My next lens will probably be a wide angle (maybe a 90mm) but for now the 135 should be enough to get me going.

Light Meter: Pentax Spotmeter V - I think this will be perfectly fine for me for quite a while, maybe forever. I found one at a good price in what seems to be excellent shape.

Developing Tank: Stearman Press SP-445 - I don't have a darkroom (yet) so I wanted a light-safe development tank. There aren't many options in the 4x5 world but the Stearman SP-445 looks like a well thought out/practical/easy to use design and it seems to get good reviews. I'll report back on my experiences with it.

Miscellaneous Stuff: I picked up 4 film holders, a cable release and a super cheap partial box of 50 yr old film (for practice loading the holders and tank, etc.). I still need to get a box of new B&W film and am thinking of some FP4+ or Delta as I like the look of both of them on 6x6.

One thing I just thought about is film clips for hanging negatives. I've been using small binder clips for my 35mm and 6x6 images but will those still work with the single sheets? What are some suggestions?

I should have everything in a week or so and am looking forward to getting familiar with the camera and knocking out some test shots. I have already started planning a project that I've been wanting to do for a few years that I think would be great on 4x5 and hopefully I'm confident enough in my skills to start that this Spring.

Thanks again for the help everyone and I'm looking forward to being as active as I can in the forums.

Cheers!

Eric Woodbury

Film clips: wooden clothes pins. Bamboo ones are nice, too.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ruleof72 View Post

One thing I just thought about is film clips for hanging negatives. I've been using small binder clips for my 35mm and 6x6 images but will those still work with the single sheets? What are some suggestions?

If they can grab the sheets on the unexposed rebate,, they should work fine
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Congratulations on your new camera. I've heard nothing but excellent reviews of the Chamonix 045F1. A 135mm is a nice focal length. Later pick up a 90 and a 210 and you will have an awesome kit.

I own 2 Pentax digital spot meters and one Spotmeter V. You really can't go wrong with them.

Like Eric says, wooden clothes pins work great or you can buy the special photographic clips. I've never used binder clips but they work fine for sealing potato chip bags.

Plastic clothes pins often have holes in the end of the handles that make stringing them across the darkroom or any other dust-free space convenient.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

This is what I use: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ilm_Clips.html They have went up in price from the $10/10 clips when I bought them more than 10 years ago but they do a good job for 4x5 and 8x10. Film is slippery wwhen you pull it from the photoflo so after placing the clip on the edge of the sheet, clasp the edge of the clip with the thumb and index finger of the other hand while you are hanging it. With 8x10 film you need a little more bite on the sheet because of the weight of the sheet. For Fuji Acros you can use a straighten arm of a paper clip through the hole in the sheet and either use the delta clip to hold the paper clip or the paper clip itself on a line.

Thomas

Congratulations. Sounds like a good kit. Take your time and work with it. Think about your needs slowly before you get lens two. 90 is popular focal length but might not be wide enough (unless you cannot go wider on your camera) so you you may jump down to 75 for a better fit.

Good luck and have fun!
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer