Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello and Help/Suggestions for first 4x5 setup

Hello and Help/Suggestions for first 4x5 setup

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster who's looking forward to becoming a more active part of this community.

I've been an enthusiastic photographer for the last 5 years or so and I shoot both digital and film. My current digital kit is a Olympus EM-10 micro 4/3 and my film cameras consist of a Nikkormat FTn and Olympus OM-1 SLR and two Rolleicord Va Type 2's. I shoot a mix of street/urban, auto and landscape. I develop my own B&W film and up until now have been just scanning the negatives. I will be joining a local photographer's group this year which will give me access to real darkroom equipment so I plan on learning about everything that goes with that. I've also been talking about getting a 4x5 camera for at least 2 years and I'm finally ready to make that "threat" a reality.

My plan is to use the 4x5 mostly for landscapes but also in-town/architectural so portability and a versatility of movements are important. My initial budget is in the neighborhood of 2k "all in" (camera, couple of lenses, etc.). I've done some research and have compiled a list of possible cameras. I'm hoping here might be able to provide some insight into the pros/cons of the cameras and help me narrow the list down to the finalists. Here's what I've come up with so far:

• Shen Hao HZX-IIa- Looks to have all the movements I would need but a little heavier than the others. Cost ~$1100
    • Shen Hao PTB45- Lighter than HZX but with no rear rise/fall/shift. Everything else seems good movement wise. Cost of ~$1000
    • Chamonix 4x5 N2 & N2- Both seem like good values with enough movements (no rear rise/fall/shift) and light weight. Cost of ~$1000
    • Chamonix 4x5 F1- pretty much same as N1 & N2 but with "asymmetrical" rear tilt which they claim is easier to use- New cost of ~$1100
    • Speed Graphic- seems to be a classic 1st 4x5 suggestion but while less expensive & hand-holdable it is heavier and lacks some important movements that might be helpful? Cost is ~$400-$700
    • Wista 45vx- another classic that is similar in weight to Speed graphic but with more movements. Cost ~$500-$700
    • Tachihara 4x5 Field- seems to me to be "best" choice for used field camera. Has all movements I'd need, is lightweight and seems to be available for $500-$750

Am I missing anything in this list? Can anyone speak to differences between Shen Hao and Chamonix as far as durability/usability go? Any other cameras I should be looking at based on my criteria and budget?

As for lenses I think I could get going with 2, a 90mm-105mm wide angle and a 150-180mm normal. I think those would cover me for a while. There are so many options but I know that my budget will only allow me to purchase used. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Hello and Help/Suggestions for first 4x5 setup

Quote Originally Posted by Ruleof72 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a long time lurker and first time poster who's looking forward to becoming a more active part of this community.
    Hi Rule, and welcome aboard.

Tachihara 4x5 Field- seems to me to be "best" choice for used field camera.
    Has all movements I'd need, is lightweight and seems to be available for $500-$750
    I strongly recommend the Tachihara.
    I have the 8x10 version with a 5x7 auxiliary back, and I love it.
    This is a beautiful camera, hand-made from 300-year-old Japanese cherry.

My initial budget is in the neighborhood of 2k "all in" (camera, couple of lenses, etc.).
    Your basic lens selection is reasonable, though your budget may be a bit limiting.
    You can spend that much on a single lens.

That doesn't mean you HAVE to spend that much on a single lens.
    LF lens performance is not nearly as critical as for 35mm since the enlargement ratio is much less.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Don't expect the first 4x5 you buy will be ideal. Reading about using one and actually using it are quite different. Also, many old and relatively inexpensive cameras and lenses can do today what they did generations ago when they produced photographs that set many of today's standards. There are situations when the latest and best lenses would be significantly better for you, but you should discover them on your own.

A great deal in used modern lenses, would be the Caltar--IIN series (rebranded Rodenstock lenses). Their 150/5.6 was my only 4x5 lens for years -- very small and light. Should be well under $300.

Tachihara 4x5 Field is a beautiful camera. Not bomb-proof, but well-made. The Horseman WoodField is another nice wood field camera...more 'bomb-proof' than the Tachihara, but not as pretty.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

The Wista 45DX is very similar to the Tchihara and slightly better made, I've had mine around 30 years.

A Super Graphic (graflex or later Toyo) is another option, more movements than a Speed or Crown I like mine and use it a lot, often hand held which is why I bought it after using a Crown Graphic.

Also the Toyo 45A is a good budget camera with raesonable movements,

Ian

For handheld use I would certainly recommend one of the Graflex or similar press cameras.
    They were designed for such operation.

My first exposure to LF was in 1960, shooting sports for a newspaper using a 4x5 Graflex (don't know which model).
    The presence of an optical viewfinder and a coupled rangefinder certainly simplified the task.

- Leigh

I used to own a Tachihara 4x5. It is extremely light weight, has a very bright screen to focus on, and can use a 90mm lens on a flat lens board. On the negative side, it's not as sturdy as the Chamonix or Shen Hao and it's so pretty that you need to be prepared for people approaching you asking about your pretty antique camera.

I would look for a used camera. For example, I've seen used Shen Hao's for $700 on Ebay and used Chamonix's for $800. You do have to be patient and wait for something to turn up for sale. After you shoot a camera for a while you may decide that you want a different one. You can usually sell a used camera for close to what you paid for it.

Spend your money on film!

About lenses. I've been shopping for several recently.

I don't think you can make a bad mistake with any 90 or 150 or 180 from the big four (in alphabetical order, Fuji, Nikon, Schneider, Rodenstock). Schneider's 90/6.8 Angulon, however, is marginal for 4x5.

Fewer choices in 100 mm lenses that will cover 4x5. The only two that come to mind are the 100/6.3 Wide Field Ektar and the 100/6.3 Meyer Aristostigmat. I've had the Meyer, it isn't that wonderful.

105s that will cover 4x5 with movements are even more limited. Off the top of my head, and I could be mistaken, two Fujinons. The rest are normal lenses for 2x3 (=6x9) and won't allow much shift/rise on 4x5.

At today's prices Fujis seem the best buys, but patience and luck in searching can make a difference.

Yeah, I recently bought one of those inexpensive Fujinon 180mm lenses on Ebay from a Seller in Japan and I was very happy with the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    105s that will cover 4x5 with movements are even more limited. Off the top of my head, and I could be mistaken, two Fujinons.
    Hi Dan,

Given the 163mm diagonal on 4x5...

I have a 105/8 Fujinon SW with a massive 250mm IC. It will cover 5x7 with movements.
    It's a large lens (116.2mm FFL and 77mm filter), weighing 570gm in a Copal 0. It's very nice.

There's also a Fujinon 105/8 NSWS that may be a later version of the same lens. Same 250mm IC.
    I don't have full specs.

Then there's the 105/5.6 Fujinon CM-W with its 174mm IC. Much smaller lens... 220gm in a Copal 0.

The Nikkor W 105/5.6 comes in just a bit shy with an IC of 155mm.

- Leigh