Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problem with tilt and swing

Re: Problem with tilt and swing

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    That makes it clearer - focus is different to focus, but similar to focus.

Well clarified, sir. Well clarified...
    If the simple act of focusing a camera still eludes you, get a digital camera & save yourself the trouble of trying to learn photography.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    Swing (or Tilt): Once you determine you need one or the other, focus on the farthest point, then swing (or tilt) in the direction of the nearest point until the far and near points are equally out of focus. Lock the swing (or tilt), refocus and, if you did it right, both points will pop into focus at the same time. The trick is determining when both points are equally out of focus but once you do it a few times it gets surprisingly quick and easy. It's all on the ground glass.
    Fantastic......I will try that today thanks
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    ...Basically I was focusing on the nearest part of the old bridge and then swinging the lens trying to get the furthest part in focus, it would focus on the furthest part but then the near was out of focus..........
    Any tips or help would be much appreciated
    Just noticed this part. If your front swing is on the axis of the lens, then I suggest focusing around 1/3 of the way along the bridge (from near to far), then apply swing. Perhaps this is what Thomas meant by swing being analogous to tilt, as this is what one does with a generic landscape (focusing about a third of the way into the scene and then applying front tilt if needed). Of course base tilt requires major refocusing.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by loonatic45414 View Post
    If the simple act of focusing a camera still eludes you, get a digital camera & save yourself the trouble of trying to learn photography.

Seriously? You joined the forum a couple months ago and have made it your mission to condescend and insult at will? A beginner is asking for advice. Most of us were beginners once. There are books written on focusing a view camera. Not everyone can pick it up instantly from snide comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Seriously? You joined the forum a couple months ago and have made it your mission to condescend and insult at will? A beginner is asking for advice. Most of us were beginners once. There are books written on focusing a view camera. Not everyone can pick it up instantly from snide comments.
    +1
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

You began the snide remarks, so own it.

I offered my assistance. You began the attacks. Own it.

To the original poster:

To further qualify Vaughn's response, if you'll notice the distance marks on your lens are together as you get closer to infinity. You ideally need to choose a point that's 1/3 from your closest point of focus to be the center of your swing.

The near & far points should then come out of focus somewhat equally as your plane of focus changes. At this point, refocus & see if it is possible to get a reasonable focus throughout your subject plane.

If not, you may try increasing your depth of field by closing down your aperture.

I suppose I should also mention to compensate with an increase in shutter speed or choose a sufficiently faster film. In the event that your shutter speed requires an exposure longer than 1/8 of a second, check the film reciprocity requirements and increase exposure time as required.

swinging the front element to more or less parallel to the subject,
    Actually, no. When your subject is in focus, the lensboard plane, subject plane and film plane will meet in one point to the far right. None will be parallel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scheimpflug.gif 
Views:	22 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	160754

. . . trying to get everything in focus by swinging the front element to more or less parallel to the subject,
    No one has commented on this yet, so obvious to us, but maybe not to the OP, so I will. You do not swing the front to more or less parallel to the subject. The swing you will need is considerably less than this. The direction is *towards* parallel, but only a couple of degrees.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear