Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI 8x10 Enlarger w/ VC Head and timer new to me any advice

Re: Zone VI 8x10 Enlarger w/ VC Head and timer new to me any advice

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    A couple of notes:
    1. Wall mounting the enlarger should make it very stable. I have two. Both are wall mounted.

2. Zone VI sold a focusing extension. If you didn't get one with either of your enlargers, you might want to fabricate one unless you have really long arms.

3. I don't use the extra weight in the 8x10 enlarger. You have to hang onto the head when moving it, but I found the additional weight dragged in the column.

Did you get all the instructions you needed? I have some printed materials on these enlargers that I can share if you let me know what you need.
    I am going to run some sort of threaded rod or aluminum channel to the wall once I get it settled. I have instructions for the enlargers and vc heads. I'm still looking for the timer instructions. .
    And yes I had a bit of trouble getting the little weight in, I will see how it goes. I think if I can get it stabilized it will be fine. In the mean time it's sitting on a vibration free concrete floor so I just need to go slow. I have to replace the foam that turned to goo. I have a pristine 240MM Rodagon that I am going to mount on a lens board that came with. Then I'm ready to get going.
    Thanks to everyone for the help, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Attachment 160590Attachment 160591

The enlarger is about 5'7", In the prior picture you can see the smaller lead weight that is added for the 8x10 head. I'm going to need a pair of binoculars to stand up and focus. This unit will work but don't confuse it with a real 8x10 enlarger. It wiggles if you touch it, enough that, I get tired of waiting and steadied it to calm it down. It really needs fixed bracing from a wall.

Benefits, I carried it down into my basement by removing the lead counterweight, and the baseboard. And, I brought two of these home, in the back of my Wife's '07 Subaru wagon. It will work fine for my playing.

Randy, It's no Saltzman! I'm going to make a base should put the easel about 27" off the floor.
    Best Regards, Mike
    It can fatten up. Just add weight. The Saltzman has 140 lbs of lead for counterweight. It needs it to balance the 14" double condensors that I can no longer lift. The Fotar has massive added weight, bolted on everywhere it can. Like 200 lbs under the baseboard. The Beseler has cement in its base.

Congrats on the new Zone Vl 8x10. I'm sure it will make printing tremendously easier. However, just to clarify, you most certainly can do split contrast printing with an 8x10 Elwood. I do it all the time with an Aristo head, as I'm sure others do as well. It's a beast to be sure, clunky, quirky, and is everything that anyone else has ever described about this close to 80 year old relic. Maybe someday, I'll build a VC LED head to replace the Aristo for the Elwood. But truth be known, if I had the oppurtunity to pick up a 8x10 Zone Vl enlarger to replace my old Elwood, to make life easier, I probably would.
    Last edited by Richard Rau; 31-Jan-2017 at 05:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rau View Post
    Congrats on the new Zone Vl 8x10. I'm sure it will make printing tremendously easier. However, just to clarify, you most certainly can do split contrast printing with an 8x10 Elwood. I do it all the time with an Aristo head, as I'm sure others do as well. It's a beast to be sure, clunky, quirky, and is everything that anyone else has ever described about this close to 80 year old relic. Maybe someday, I'll build a VC LED head to replace the Aristo for the Elwood. But truth be known, if I had the oppurtunity to pick up a 8x10 Zone Vl enlarger to replace my old Elwood, to make life easier, I probably would.
    Yes, the old Elwood is a great old beast. Mine has the beautiful silvered dome with 500 W Bulb. It's a great enlarger. I have 12 inch Ilex Paragon for it, nice !
    Best Mike

I fabricated an extension arm for my Zone VI. Very easy with parts from Home Depot.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...new-user/page9

Regarding focusing, with my older eyes, I am using the magnasight and standing high enough to work the knobs on the left side. When I check with a grain focuser, I do a fine job with the magnasight.
    With the boxes off on a small table to the side you don't touch the enlarger at all when doing split printing. I have never noticed shaking to be a problem. What can be a problem with some shortish lenses is distribution of illumination. Expose a blank sheet of paper with no negative and see if it develops evenly.
    With split printing in blue green I have found I get out of thinking in grades pretty quick and think in terms of highlight and shadow effect separately

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Curtis View Post
    I fabricated an extension arm for my Zone VI. Very easy with parts from Home Depot.
    Alan, I have already observed your handy work. This is exactly what I am going to try when I get time. I had a brief vision of attaching a cordless screw driver to it. But then the vision of shredded bellows and stripped gears made me think better of it

I this this should work splendidly.

Thanks for the info.
    Best Mike

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Regarding focusing, with my older eyes, I am using the magnasight and standing high enough to work the knobs on the left side. When I check with a grain focuser, I do a fine job with the magnasight.
    With the boxes off on a small table to the side you don't touch the enlarger at all when doing split printing. I have never noticed shaking to be a problem. What can be a problem with some shortish lenses is distribution of illumination. Expose a blank sheet of paper with no negative and see if it develops evenly.
    With split printing in blue green I have found I get out of thinking in grades pretty quick and think in terms of highlight and shadow effect separately
    I think I literally have every focusing contraption known to man. Paterson big and small (major and minor ), the Omega Micro $200 job. The only thing I use anymore is thr humble Bestwell Magnasight! The damn film today has no grain! I make 11x14s from 6x9 Tmax 400, theres no grain to focus on! You would need a 40x scope. Even modern Tri-X in medium format is very fine grain. For 8x10 film I have some Tri-X and some Ilford Delta 100. Now I use the Bestwell and look for a sharp edge in the photo. Focus wide open then stop down two stops. That's my technique. I'm working more than I like right now (I'm supposed to be semi-retired) hopefully I will get back to my grueling 2 to 3 day weeks soon so I can get busy printing.
    Thanks, Mike

My Durst SM-183 has a similar extension since the head is very high when all the way up! I found it the other day, it had fallen behind my darkroom sink. I had been looking for it trying to figure out where the heck I'd put it. I've now stored it carefully with the stored head where it should stay until my wife cleans up the storage closet! At least with my DeVere 5108 I don't have that problem! I think the Omega F has the most elegant solution, the extension arm telescopes to whatever length is needed! Jay I know you appreciate thad design! Luis

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Curtis View Post
    Alan, I see that you have your unit bolted to a wall. Did you put blocking in between the studs?

I'm debating what to do. The factory base looks like it will work in my vibration free basement.
    Mike