Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Freckles on B+W film

Re: Freckles on B+W film

Well, I got a new bottle of fixer and a new container and it didn't solve the problem. I am using a MOD54 with XTOL at 1:1. I pre-soak for 1 minute and develop as normal. I guess the next thing to try is to mix the chemicals with distilled water to see if there are mineral issues with the tap. I have a basic filter on the cold line, but maybe something is getting through. Also, I feel like I dislodge all of the bubbles after each inversion, but maybe I need to give it a harder knock!

If you use a filter it should be a 0.5, 1, or 5, micron filter to get out particles. These are membrane filters you can order from USA plastics, but you also need a hand pump to pull a vacuum. Even the distilled water will have particulates. It could be you need to look at agitation. I was very surprised how switching to rotary developing fixed uneven development.

Mike

One other thought. Is it possible that your developer is not completely dissolved, and that you have small crystals floating around and sticking to the film? You may want to try filtering the developer, or mixing longer while in a warm water bath to make sure everything is dissolved.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sazerac View Post
    Well, I got a new bottle of fixer and a new container and it didn't solve the problem. I am using a MOD54 with XTOL at 1:1. I pre-soak for 1 minute and develop as normal. I guess the next thing to try is to mix the chemicals with distilled water to see if there are mineral issues with the tap. I have a basic filter on the cold line, but maybe something is getting through. Also, I feel like I dislodge all of the bubbles after each inversion, but maybe I need to give it a harder knock!
    I was having issues like this so rather than knock the tank on the table, I rap the side 3 times with a wooden spoon. Maybe its coincidence but (touch wood) not had a problem since

Thanks for the tip! I had originally suspected that it might be the developer so I'll give that a try. Would the undissolved crystals be visible?

Japan Exposures

I have been using the same fixer bottle for 10 years, every time I wash it when doing a new mix small bits come out. I have never done one-shot fixing. I do rotary processing and never had a problem. Go figure! I can't see how particles can settle on film doing rotary. All my fixing errors so far were related to some sort of agitation issue (or lack thereof).
    Last edited by Dirk Rösler; 20-Feb-2017 at 01:25.

OK, so the plot thickens. I just got some color images back and I have two back-to back shots that are 1-stop difference in exposure. both are the same lens, same position but one has the spots and one doesn't. If it's not the developer, the lens or the camera could it be the film holder?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LF 2017_019-LFF.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	161502

Name:	LF 2017_020-LFF.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	161503

If you turn the image on its side it looks like drips running down a surface to me.

I agree which is why I thought that it may have to do with the development process. Both of the images were processed at the same time in the same lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazerac View Post
    OK, so the plot thickens. I just got some color images back and I have two back-to back shots that are 1-stop difference in exposure. both are the same lens, same position but one has the spots and one doesn't. If it's not the developer, the lens or the camera could it be the film holder?

Name:	LF 2017_019-LFF.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	161502

Name:	LF 2017_020-LFF.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	161503
    It's not as obvious in the 2nd image, but the marks are there too. Agree they look like drip marks.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design