Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I Use My LF Film Cameras for Wet Plate?

Can I Use My LF Film Cameras for Wet Plate?

Long time LF film shooter, and I'm just about to begin a life in wet plate.

I don't remember where I read that it isn't advisable to use one's film camera for wet plate because the chemistry may "mess up" the back. I own two Ebony's, a 4x5 and an 8x10, and if wet plate may, in some way, damage the back, then I suppose I should look to purchase a camera dedicated solely to wet plate.

But today I took a look Jody Ake's holders on-line, and I'm wondering if that style holder, which fits properly into the spring back, would limit any chance of damage due to chemical leakage.

Regardless of the back/holder combination, however, what are your thoughts / suggestions about using my film cameras for wet plate?

Thanks!

Re: Can I Use My LF Film Cameras for WP?

Robert, in my limited time with wet plate, I used three cameras, and none of them suffered any damage from chemicals, or any damage at all.
    Keep things clean and organized, know your steps well in advance, and it'll go very well.

Good question Robert - I am likewise interested in giving wet plate a go using my existing film gear.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

You won't have a problem at first because you will be so careful to do everything correctly. The problem will arrive when you begin to get lax and wet chemistry drips out of the holder onto the camera back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    You won't have a problem at first because you will be so careful to do everything correctly. The problem will arrive when you begin to get lax and wet chemistry drips out of the holder onto the camera back.
    Just curious, Jim, did you experience this yourself? If so, do you have any advice on how, specifically, to ensure it doesn't happen?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I've shot more than a thousand tintypes using converted film holders as plate holders, and have never had a single drop of silver hit the cameras. Just the occasional little drips that stay inside the plate holder.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Robert, in my limited time with wet plate, I used three cameras, and none of them suffered any damage from chemicals, or any damage at all.
    Keep things clean and organized, know your steps well in advance, and it'll go very well.
    Thanks for the encouraging words, Ari.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I've shot more than a thousand tintypes using converted film holders as plate holders...
    I thought I remembered seeing that some have modified regular film holders to plate holders - that sounds like a good alternative for those who want to give the process a try.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I thought I remembered seeing that some have modified regular film holders to plate holders - that sounds like a good alternative for those who want to give the process a try.
    Not sure that this would work.
    First, glass plates are much thicker then sheet film. So how could you modify the sheet film holder to hold the glass plates and how would you be able to use the dark slide?
    Next, once you slide the glass plate into the holder how would you remove it without fingerprints or scratching the emulsion?

Perhaps you are thinking of Linhof's Glass Plate/Sheet Film Holders that had a spring loaded plate to compensate for the significant differences in thickness between the two. It also has an ejector lever on each side to push the glass plate or the sheet film partially out of the holder to make it safe and easy to remove by grabbing the exposed edges that were pushed out.
    However, how they would hold up to wet chemistry on the plate would make me nervous of using wet plates in them. No problem with dry plates though.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Here's Jody Ake's website for modified holders. They look substantial and well designed.