Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Arca Swiss Cube Axis Tension Adjustment?

Re: Arca Swiss Cube Axis Tension Adjustment?

Gearing

It may be some are stronger than others

Mine is a rock until a certain point, then it's not

The other issue I noticed with the cube I don't see with the QuickFix version of the Linhof Micro is a weakness at the attachment point (clamp).

Using a 5x7 p2 with wide lenses (72 - 120) was the edge of what it could handle. By that I mean it would hold the camera steadily without losing settings throughout the shooting process. Didn't lose any frames or have to reset it after inserting film holders, even horizontally.

What I couldn't do with that camera on the cube was pick it up and walk with it. To move the setup I'd have to take the camera off the head, carry them separately and reattach after

The heavy camera moving side to side puts to much stress on the arca clamp.

A toyo 5x7 G was too much for the cube. I think it's a question of balance and torsion. With lighter, lower profile cameras it is not an issue at all.

The QuickFix doesn't seem to have that problem.

I've found the cube doesn't properly hold the 810 arca, Chris Barrett has indicated the same, and this thread was started by someone with the same issue, yet others use theirs successfully. It may come down to the age of the head. Mine is not new, I got it in 2003. That said it never could easily hold an 810 arca, even brand new. That didn't stop me from shooting a lot of film and jobs with that combo, it just wasn't really ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by asf View Post
    The other issue I noticed with the cube I don't see with the QuickFix version of the Linhof Micro is a weakness at the attachment point (clamp).

Using a 5x7 p2 with wide lenses (72 - 120) was the edge of what it could handle. By that I mean it would hold the camera steadily without losing settings throughout the shooting process. Didn't lose any frames or have to reset it after inserting film holders, even horizontally.

What I couldn't do with that camera on the cube was pick it up and walk with it. To move the setup I'd have to take the camera off the head, carry them separately and reattach after

The heavy camera moving side to side puts to much stress on the arca clamp.

A toyo 5x7 G was too much for the cube. I think it's a question of balance and torsion. With lighter, lower profile cameras it is not an issue at all.

The QuickFix doesn't seem to have that problem.

I've found the cube doesn't properly hold the 810 arca, Chris Barrett has indicated the same, and this thread was started by someone with the same issue, yet others use theirs successfully. It may come down to the age of the head. Mine is not new, I got it in 2003. That said it never could easily hold an 810 arca, even brand new. That didn't stop me from shooting a lot of film and jobs with that combo, it just wasn't really ideal.
    Just so there is no confusion. The Linhof 3Way geared leveling head as well as the non geared version are each available in models,for either the Linhof Quickfix quick release plates or for Arca,compatible heads. The Quickfix versions are supplied with a Quickfix plate. The Arca versions do not come with a plate.

Bob, thanks for your reply. I already have that head but found it still helpful though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Next the movements, even with heavy weight on it are much smoother and much more precise.
    +1

I further consider customer service better with Linhof.

Then it does not rely on grease for lubrication. The movements are bi metal so they are self lubricating and by adjusting the brass inserts with an Allen key you can easily adjust the tension. Not using grease the head does not get fouled by sand of grit.
    Bob, the head comes greased by factory. Are you saying that "ungreasing" is possible without risking functionality and its life? Where can one adjust the brass insert?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumium View Post
    Bob, thanks for your reply. I already have that head but found it still helpful though.

+1

I further consider customer service better with Linhof.

Bob, the head comes greased by factory. Are you saying that "ungreasing" is possible without risking functionality and its life? Where can one adjust the brass insert?
    There are small Allen screws on the side of the tracks, those are the adjustment points.