Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: film larger than5x7

film larger than5x7

I echo the need for TMAX-400. For ULF use there is no better film, IMO. It has wide expansioni and contraction potential, low reciprocity failure, and the high EFS is very desirable with ULF work. . TXT-320 and HP5+ can be replaced fairly well by JandC 400, and Ilford FP4+ by Efke PL100, but there is nothing that matches TMAX-400.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

film larger than5x7

For us color photographers, RVP and E100VS in 8X10.
    Brian Vuillemenot

film larger than5x7

For 8x10 I shoot primarily E100VS chrome, plus TMax-100 and HP5+ and occasionally Portra 160VC.

film larger than5x7

Steve,

My congratulations to you on another very successful VC Conference. I am proud to say that I was a part of this one, and I hope my contribution could be considered part of what made the coference a success to everyone I have talked to so far.

For the people who were not at the conference, the discussions about continuing to sell master rolls did occur. I made a strong statement about this in the public film forum, and the representatives from Ilford, Kodak and Fuji were all there to hear it.

My argument was supported by all the people like me who shoot something other than an 8x10 or 11x14, as it is irrelevant to me if they make a few large sizes available if they dont make MY size available. This is the value of a cutter like Photowarehouse. I argued that there are at least 100 years of legacy camera formats out there that are using a service like Photowarehouse to get their film, as they are no longer available from the manufacturers. Exactly how many of them are cutting 1/2 plate, or cirkut rolls, for example.

I think that the time is now for us to step up to the plate and make ourselves heard, or our film options may considerably diminish in the near future.

I use 7x17 and 10x12. While I suspect that 7x17 will continue to be available, I don't have any delusions that 10x12 will ever be available, as it has only been available in ortho film for the past few decades or so. All the promises that Ilford or Kodak can make about sizes are irrelevant to me as there will never be enough 10x12 shooters to warrant them making that size. There are numerous other formats like that out there that depend on Photowarehouse to get film.

There was a strong voice at the conference also about TMY in larger formats. I discussed the issue with the Kodak rep privately after the forum, and he said he would be looking into it.

---Michael Mutmansky

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

film larger than5x7

Thanks Steve for putting on the conference.
    I use Tmax 400 in 8x10, but plan to buy a new 5x7 and 7x17 this year.
    Would consider shifting to HP5 or Tri-x as long as it was available in all three sizes.
    -Rob Skeoch

film larger than5x7

I second or third the call to keep Photo Warehouse loaded with master rolls of FP4 and HP5. I shoot lots of odd sizes, 6.5x8.5, 5x12, 4x10, 7x11, 7x17 etc... and have alsways found it easy to deal with them. I can order just what I need and can handle and not be encumbered with several hundred sheets to fulfill a minimum order. It would appear to me that having a supplier like PW in place as a niche market supplier (and all of us shooting 7x11, 5x12, etc... are a niche) then trying to have the mother company support all the wildly varying needs.

Cheers!
    Steve

film larger than5x7

T Max 400 in 8x10, 11x14, 8x20 and 16x20. Thanks.

film larger than5x7

I'd like to add my support to the idea that if Ilford or Kodak can't cut short runs economically within their own facilities, they should sell large rolls to outside service providers who can.

I understand that they don't want to undercut their own packaged product in standard sizes. The solution is to sell the master rolls at a price that would make that impossible. I'm willing to pay full price, even a bit of a premium, to get Ilford or Kodak product in the odd sizes I want.

If they want to assure quality control over product identified as Ilford/Kodak, by all means let them contract with a designated service provider who will meet their standards, and let us know who it is.

film larger than5x7

The main reason I have not gotten a camera larger than 8 x 10 is the fact that there would be no TMY available for it. If they ever stop making it in 8 x 10 I really don't know what film I'll use. If they start making it in a larger size, I'll get an ULF camera in that size. If I had my druthers, make it either 7 x 17 or 8 x 20.

film larger than5x7

Brian (and any other LF color guys out there):

Have you tried Kodak EPY (Ektachrome 64T)? It's still avaiable in 8 x 10. I like it far more than 100VS or for that matter any of the daylight films.