Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water controll mixer?

Water controll mixer?

kthompson, thanks for mentioning this it is a great idea;
    quote;
    One other thing about the Hass though, is that it needs to be kept at a pretty constant flowrate to maintain right. If you use it sporadically during a process, it might take a few seconds or more to pick back up. We actually run a second line off the Hass and bleed off water during the E6 run to keep the thing running at 102 constantly...otherwise the flow is reduced for the water jacket in the machine and won't be at 102 when the critical steps kick in. You could also probably reconfigure a recirculating loop for this..
    I think any brand has this problem when turning the water on and off sporadically. I have had this problem in two different darkrooms. I was about to ask if any of these other brands took care of this? Great idea thanks,

Water controll mixer?

Buy a Simmons Temptrol [ or equivalent], a decent thermometer with fitting and call it a day. Unless you are doing high volume, E-6, or interested in wowing your photo friends; you're wasting your money. A pair of 1 micron Harmsco pleated filters on the feed side of the mixing valve will keep you film clean.
    You may choose to buy the valve at a supply house instead of the Depot, but also may suffer the wrath of the counter help when they realize you're a rookie.

Good Luck,

Water controll mixer?

I own a Hass.

It has the low flow option - it controls temp very well at flow rates well below 1 liter/min.

Power brownouts seem to confuse it. When it gets confused, I unplug it and plug it in again, and it's fine.

I don't know about other units, but mine responds to changes in flow rates extremely well. If I have it running at a trickle, and then open up to 3-4 liters/min, there's a period a couple of seconds long during which it's responding, and then it locks on to the temp and holds it constant perfectly.

Likewise, it does a great job of responding to changes in water pressure - e.g. flushing the toilet next door to the darkroom.

I've been extremely please with mine.

Craigclu

Water controll mixer?

My Powers Fotopanel has been flawless for a long time. Seems to stay spot-on. I never seem to see much about these so perhaps I've got something that was sold under various names.

Water controll mixer?

Re: my comment that calcium might be causing problems in Ken's temp valve, and that filters in the water line might help, Ken Lowther said:

" Right idea. Wrong example. Calcium is disloved in the water and will not be stopped by a filter. It will filter out particles that can scratch things like film though. Some of these units have the filter 'after' the temp valve any how."

Thanks for the correction, Ken. Perhaps I was thinking of a water softener unit. Would that help?