Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ? "standardized" distance from the front of a film holder to where the film lies

Re: ? "standardized" distance from the front of a film holder to where the film lies

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Leigh…my sincere apologies
    Hi John,

No such required.

The point I was trying to make was that when industry standards exist, you're obliged to follow them in any design that claims to be usable with commercially-available accessories such as filmholders.

Thanks.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Re: ? "standardized" distance from the front of a film holder to where the film lies

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    you're obliged to follow them in any design that claims to be usable with commercially-available accessories such as filmholders.
    Did John make such a claim in his post???

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    Did John make such a claim in his post???
    Yes

He's talking about the position of the ground glass, which is intimately related to the film holders in use. Unless he's making his own film holders, which he doesn't claim, he's obliged to match the standards for commercial holders.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

OK...I need to cut to the chase and then leave this discussion. At this point in time, I am under no obligation, to anyone, to comply with or to state, or claim, (or otherwise prove) that I have ever complied with any kind of "standard." If I feel that I want to change something (even a "standard") that already exists, I am completely free to do so. If I feel that I can improve on something (even a "standard") that already exists...I am completely free to do attempt to do so.

Its all a matter of context.

If you disagree with this...then I urge you to please go back and re-read my earlier posts very carefully. If, after then, you still disagree...then we obviously have a difference of opinion - and, as a matter of principle, I am completely OK with that.

Now...time to move on - gotta get some sleep, so I can wake up refreshed, get back to the work that needs doing, and be ready for when the next inspiration hits!

I'd be surprised if the average measurement made by @John Layton was not within the tolerances of the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    OK...I need to cut to the chase and then leave this discussion.

Now...time to move on - gotta get some sleep, so I can wake up refreshed, get back to the work that needs doing, and be ready for when the next inspiration hits!
    I'm with you on that, John. No sense in letting yourself be chased by a pack to defend what others cannot simulate. Cheers!