Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feasibility of tele-xenar lens on calumet monorail

Re: Feasibility of tele-xenar lens on calumet monorail

You won't have a problem, the MPP lens board is much smaller than the Cambo, they aren't heavy lenses and as been pointed out due to being Telephoto doesn't need much bellows extension. I use mine on a Wista 45DX field camera and don't have stability issues, your Cambo should be a bit more rigid anyway.

The only downside could be the fastest shutter speed of 1/100, not the lens itself. I'm pleased with my 360mm Tele Xenar and can live with 1/100 max, I doubt I've ever shot LF faster then 1/200 preferring slow speeds unless working hand held usually at 1/100 , or with moving subjects.

I should add that even the more modern Copal #3 shutters only have a top speed of 1/125.

Ian
    Last edited by IanG; 6-Jan-2017 at 03:54.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    the MPP lens board is much smaller than the Cambo,
    My camera is the CC400 not a Cambo. My camera uses a 4"x4" board and I think that the MPP board to which the lens is fitted camera (based on notes on the seller's site) is a 4x4. So, famous last words, it should be okay.
    The reason for the posting was in case there were any functional/structural problems/features of the 360 tele-xenar that would prevent its usage on my camera.

regards
    tONY

Tony, I was forgetting that the CC-400 was before Calumet and Cambo merged. However by chance I'm sat here with a 1919 21cm f4.5 Tessar in a Coompound #3 shutter on a Seneca lens board 3.5"x 3.75 and it fits fine, in this case the flange is quite wide but there's enough clearance (it's on the back like a retaining ring).

If you look at the photo of the rear of the lens you are referring to the flange is being used the same way and is clear of the recessed edges of the lens board. Your CC-400 boards actually have greater clearance, I have one somewhere that came with an Ilex Paragon lens but I think the Acme shutter was larger than a Compound #3.

The flange is designed so it can be screwed to the front of the lens board and that's what you'd do with smaller lens boards and clearance issues. It was also common for flanges to be modified to allow clearance but you won't have that problem.

Ian

Ian, thank you