Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wollensak Velostigmat 12" for 4x5?

Wollensak Velostigmat 12" for 4x5?

Hi, everyone.

A good friend recently passed along a bunch of lenses to me. One of them is a Wollensak Velostigmat 12" Series IV in a Betax No.4 Shutter. I only shoot 4x5 - and so was wondering whether it would be worth getting a lens board drilled for this in order to use on a 4x5? The bellows draw on my Shen Hao is about 390mm. Thanks for any direction on this.

Re: Wollensak Velostigmat 12" for 4x5?

Your camera has the extension for it. Its an f/6.3 tessar type, should be quite good. If you can use a 12" lens, why not?

Thanks, Dan - good to know. I'll give it a shot.

I had one of those lenses with my first 8x10; it was an f/4.5 version. IIRC it weighs about 4-1/2 pounds. When I bought my first 4x5, a Tachihara, I thought about using the Wollensak as a long lens for that camera. For about two seconds. If I could have gotten the lens to mount on a Technika-style board, the camera would never been able to support its weight. So if that's not a problem...
    The only other issue I can think of with that lens is that since it's uncoated, it's very flare-prone; mine wasn't happy in any kind of backlight. It did quite well for making 8x10 contact prints if the sun never got near the front element.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I had one of those lenses with my first 8x10; it was an f/4.5 version. IIRC it weighs about 4-1/2 pounds. When I bought my first 4x5, a Tachihara, I thought about using the Wollensak as a long lens for that camera. For about two seconds. If I could have gotten the lens to mount on a Technika-style board, the camera would never been able to support its weight. So if that's not a problem...
    The only other issue I can think of with that lens is that since it's uncoated, it's very flare-prone; mine wasn't happy in any kind of backlight. It did quite well for making 8x10 contact prints if the sun never got near the front element.
    12" f/4.5 Wollensak Velostigmat also was my first lens for my first 8x10 back in the 1970s. That lens was coated by Burke & James which kept the flare down a bit. Did a lot of winter photography with it and my biggest problem was light reflecting/bouncing off the inside of the bellows and adding density to the borders of my 8x10 negatives. Used Super-XX with the Zone system taught to me by George DeWolf and Nile Root at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Think I sold it in the 1980s. Nostalgia hit me last year and picked up another copy in a Betax shutter. Present optic is uncoated and flare yes a problem to be aware of but every time I use the lens, it takes me a bit back to the 1970s. Last few years have been scanning negatives of waterfalls that I made back then with the Velostigmat, "burning in" the edges, making digital negatives, and printing Platinum/Palladium prints.

Foamer

I have exactly that lens, and had a Shen Hao 4x5 (now have similar Chamonix 045n). Even though it's a great lens, I'm going to advise against it. I had a bracket made so it would physically fit on a standard 110 board, but the thing is a beast. It was threatening to crush my little Chamonix. Think of the torque exerted on that lightweight front standard by having such a heavy weight dangling a foot away, unsupported. I now have it mounted on a wooden board and only use it on my heavy duty Gundlach Korona.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Guys, the OP asked about a 12"/6.3. What you say about your 12"/4.5s is interesting but not that relevant.

Dan, did the series IV Velostigmats come both as f/4.5 and f/6.3 versions? The OP does not specify which he has. Mine was certainly an f/4.5, and the size of that Betax alone will make mounting it on a 4x5 field camera a questionable exercise.

Fair question, Mark, and your concern about the lens' weight is well founded.

According to these http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...lensak_17.html and http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...llensak_7.html old Wolly catalogs Ser. II Velostigmats were f/4.5, Ser. IV were f/6.3.

Since, however, Wollensak was in Rochester where there were no rules and no one followed them, there could well be f/4.5 Ser. IVs. I doubt it but given the prevailing chaos ...

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Dan, did the series IV Velostigmats come both as f/4.5 and f/6.3 versions? The OP does not specify which he has. Mine was certainly an f/4.5, and the size of that Betax alone will make mounting it on a 4x5 field camera a questionable exercise.
    Hey Mark the Velostigmat Series IV is an f6.3 and not by the fact Wollensak claims it's NOT convertible so I would guess the construction is after the Tessar Series IIb f6.3 and not a double Gaussian
    * Wollensak also speaks of the Series IV being of smaller size*
    The Velostigmat Series II f 4.5 is a copy of the Tessar Ic f4.5 and can be had w/ a soft focus function by separating the front group. Neither is convertible and I would think the Series IV would have a bit better edges and or coverage by a tad. The Series II would be a speed lens and better suited for Portraiture then the Series IV.

Dan beat me to it but I had this typed up then the Forum disappeared for a minute so we're back and I'll go ahead and post this even though you covered most of this.