Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rinsing, drying sheet film

hacker extraordinaire

Rinsing, drying sheet film

I've been doing roll film for a long time, but I just started shooting 4x5 film. I don't know what is normal, because I'm learning myself how to do all this sheet film stuff.

So far I've just developed my film individually in the same 8x10 trays I use for prints. At 6-10 minutes per sheet this means a lot of standing around in the dark. I have heard that people stack sheets up and shuffle them from the bottom to the top, but I don't think I could do that in the dark without scratching them with the corners and I don't understand how agitation is supposed to work when the sheets are all stuck together.

After fixing I rinse them individually in a thousand little dishes, again because I'm afraid of putting them in one dish together, and then I dip them in photoflo and then hang them up by the corner with binder clips. When the solution is running off, I notice a lot of what could be little bits of crud on the negatives leaving streaks as it runs off. Or, it could be micro-bubbles. I think it's micro-bubbles because the negs have turned out ok.

How do drum processors work, and how many sheets fit inside them?

Re: Rinsing, drying sheet film

See Greywolf Phillips article linked to the LF Home Page on the blue banner above. A Unicolor will handle four 4x5 sheets at a time and costs a pittance compared to a Jobo.
    For washing your film you could just leave the top off the barrel and run it under the faucet, dumping the water out and refilling a dozen or so times (if you're not on a water meter!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

With a drum your rinsing and drying may not change. Personally I get good results rinsing in the drum, but some film won't clear on the back all the way when rinsed in various drums, therefore some require out-of-drum rinsing.

The popular Jobo 3010 drum holds 10 4x5 negatives.

I had terrible luck doing tray processing, so you don't want my advice on it(other than to run away fast).

I use several methods: a Jobo with the 3010 expert drum; Jobo with the smaller tank 2500 tanks with the 2509N reels; and a HP combiplan. All give good results, and I haven't scratched a sheet since I switched away from trays.

Someone here is selling the Jobo 2500 series tanks and 2509 reels for a good price. You will need at a minimum a roller base, and better yet a Jobo with a lift. Each 2509 reel holds 6 sheets, and you can add multiple reels to a tank.

The Jobo 3010 holds 10 sheets.

The Combiplan is probably your best bet, if you are coming from hand inverted tanks. It will do 6 sheets at once, and doesn't cost much new. With practice it can be filled quickly enough to give even development despite what some on the web claim.

I tray process my 4x5, two at a time in an 8x10 tray so they don't touch. As for rinsing, I've got an old sheet film developing tank that works terribly for development, but just fine for rinsing. To dry, I lean my sheets against a wall and that seems to work.

If you don't like standing around in the dark inhaling chemical fumes you're a good candidate for processing in tubes (BTZS tubes or make your own). You load the film in the dark and then turn on the lights, everything from that point on is done in normal room light. www.theviewcamerastore.com for the BTZS tubes. If you search here you can find a ton of information about them.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I use the Combi tank as well. Everytime I use it I think I need to make myself a plug for the bottom drain that I can put a hole in. That way the water running into the top of the tank matches the water running out during washing.

I had not thought out how I am going to rinse my 5X7 and WP when I start processing them.

Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    I use the Combi tank as well. Everytime I use it I think I need to make myself a plug for the bottom drain that I can put a hole in. That way the water running into the top of the tank matches the water running out during washing.
    I hook a hose to the bottom drain and run the wash water in that way. That way there is no need to match the flow rate. The hose is hooked to one of the sink faucets, and is just standard clear vinyl hose from the hardware store. Works very well.

Daylight options are limited to Jobo or HP Combi (I have 3 of these and use them with no problems). Occasionally on e bay you find used Nikon Stainless 4X5 tanks. The Nikon option is a long wait as these don't come up to often and are out of production. There is also the Yankee Daylight tank however this is not an inversion tank. I have a Yankee and use it only to wash negatives as it loses liquid to easily to keep my 4X5 negatives covered- a personal observation and opinion on my part. The Combi is supported by Bob Solomon who frequents this forum and provides excellent service for parts and for information about products.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    I hook a hose to the bottom drain and run the wash water in that way. That way there is no need to match the flow rate. The hose is hooked to one of the sink faucets, and is just standard clear vinyl hose from the hardware store. Works very well.

Never thought of doing it that way. I have the water running into the open top and hence need to have a flow rate that allows the negs to be under water all the time. Will try your method as it sounds like it would use less water.