Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to Ebony or Wisner?

Rob Simmons

Upgrading to Ebony or Wisner?

So I'm selling my Tachihara to get a camera that will allow me to use longer lenses and I have really wanted to get into that next level of 4x5 camera. I have narrowed it down to 2, or basically 3 including the 2 Ebony's. I have been debating on the Ebony SV45U or the SV45Ti. I know not much difference in the camera, more just the wood and the asymmetrical movements of the SU. Not sure if that is a huge selling point being I never needed it before. Plus my Tachi had a lot of movement anyway. Then I look at the Wisners and they look so old school. A little bulkier from what I can tell but the red bellows and the whole look of it just appeals to me as well but they can take the longer lenses as well. Even considered a Deardorff. I see many on sale but just not sure if newer ones are as well built as older ones. Maybe someone can chime in on that. Anyway I am really wanting to get into more LF shooting. I have been shooting with my 6x6 and the Velvia on a lightbox just look amazing. I want to shoot more 4x5's and plan on doing that this year. So some opinions that I may be overlooking would be appreciated.

Re: Upgrading to Ebony or Wisner?

Drew Wiley

Wisner has long been out of business and Ebony is no longer taking orders, though certain cameras might still be found at dealers. Ebony is expensive and in my
    opinion a far better built camera than either Wisner or Deardorff. There are still several other excellent brands to choose from, however. But for long focal lengths, monorail design cameras are far easier to use than wooden folders. You can simply add or remove rail extensions, or interchange bellows, as needed. It is also far easier to balance the camera on the tripod, without an excessive torque vector hanging clear out front. Over the years I have used Sinar cameras for this purpose, with the original Norma design being my favorite, and reserve my 4x5 Ebony for those instances where compactness and light weight are the priority, as in backpacking or going into an airline carry-on.

Rob Simmons

Oh I know that, I am just searching on the used market. I have a monorail though, this is for getting out there and going with something compact and not bulky. i.e. a Field Camera.

For new look at Chamonix F1 roughly same specs as the Ebony SV45U and even new will not be significantly more expensive than a used Ebony. Wisner quality is nowhere near an Ebony. Go Ebony if you are choosing between that and a Wisner.

I second Randy's suggestion to look at Canham. Get a MQC57 and put a 4x5 adapter on it and you have a 600mm bellows that can still go down to about 72mm. It folds up nice and compact.

Having own both at one time or another I think the gearing/hardware on a Wisner compared to an Ebony is the main difference- the first being a little "rough" and the latter "as smooth as silk." Canham makes a nice camera, would be worth a look also.

Why not do all three - shoot 5x7, 4x5 and 6x17 (with your 120 Velvia) with the Canham MQC. It's a pretty sweet and flexible combo, and field portable...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rollfilmbackon57.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	158608

Drew Wiley

Just my personal opinion, but I like Canham's wood folders a lot more than the metal ones. The 5x7 is the sweet point in his line, in my opinion. About six pounds,
    relatively affordable, and there is probably a 4x5 reducer back made for it. Just how long a bellows do you need, anyway? Most 4x5 front standards aren't going
    to be rigid enough for a true 600mm lens in a heavy no. 3 shutter without some vibration risk.

You also might want to look at a used Linhof Technikardan 45. I moved to it from a Wista DX after becoming frustrated with a lack of movements (rise, fall, shift) and general fiddliness. Its pretty compact once folded. Some complain it is hard to fold, but I have experienced no problem. Standard bellows are 485mm. In addition, the bag bellows can be used with movements for lenses up to 150mm. It is a delight to use.

If you want to wet print, 5x7 and 6x17 both require a 5x7 enlarger, though scanning and digital printing are an option, as are digital inter-negatives.