Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venice photography book

Venice photography book

Is anyone aware of any good books of photography about Venice (preferably large format), but not the usual tourist/gondolas/grand canal/St.Marks (even Arentz seemed unable to avoid this trap).

Color or black and white.

Also, has anyone photographed much in Venice recently. I'm going there for just over a month at the end of the summer. Hassles? Problems? enjoyments?

Venice photography book

While, not specific to Venice, Linda Butler's "Italy - in the Shadow of Time" is a gorgeous book of black & white images shot on a large format camera. I own three of Linda's books (with her fourth on the Yangtze currently on it's way) - they are all among my favorites.

Venice photography book

I've not been to venice recently, but I it is a mob scene these day. The city is working on ways to reduce the number of people. Don't know if they have restrictions on tripods, but I would try to find out before taking a 4x5. More and more places are restricting tripods. I'd take a hasselblad myself.

Venice photography book

Lucy,
    Watch out for the Fiscal Police! They were floating around everywhere last time I was there, looking for tax evaders. Having some kind of proof that you brought your camera from overseas might be a good idea. Early moring is probably the best time to photograph, before the tourists have had thier cappuccinos. I was there during the autumn and the light was fantastic, especially out in the lagoon. I didn't have a LF then so I don't know what the deal is on tripods, but I'd love to go back with a handheld 5x7 Speed Graphic or a Pacemaker Crown.

Enjoy!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Venice photography book

Enjoyments in Venice? Like just about every minute, except the leaving part. I was there a year ago March. It was cold, but very few tourists. There was snow in the streets. Early morning light is outstanding. The pastels of the buildings was beyond compare. The detail in the statues, buildings, and pillars of the Doge's Palace will blow you away. I have heard that there is a prohibition against photographing on the bridges (there are 400 of them) but I was never bothered. Like John I did not take LF, but someday I would love to. I am envious. Go to www.fodors.com and read about Venice on the boards.

Venice photography book

I'll second Peter's comment. I too was there in the winter (Febrauary) and I still have a photo of my wife standing alone in St. Mark's Square. Alone except for a few pigeons, but still alone. Also the weather at that time of year -- lots of mist -- makes for great shots. As for LF, sorry, no experience there.

Venice photography book

There is a book by the Swiss photographer Peter Gasser. "Venezia", all 8x10 photographs in black and white. Although it does show some gondolas, its quite different compared to the usual stuff. A few pictures can be seen here:
    http://www.masters-of-fine-art-photo...enezia_01.html
    It was published by edition Stemmle (Switzerland) in 1990.

Venice photography book

My memories are very different then the others posted, maybe the time of year I was their? This was about 10 years ago in either October, November time frame. I did not have a large format nor would I have wanted one at the time. It was packed with tourist, St. Marks square was packed. The place stunk raw sewage! The architecture was fasinating , but I would never do that trip again. I had a private email chat with a gentleman that lives in Italy about the same subject and this is what he told me;
    Dan, I thank you for appreciating my country: wasn't it just for all those italians over there...
    I agree about Venezia. I too have been there a few times and never found it but full packed with people.
    On the Alps you've seen, one sure gets majestic scenarios there, but still I believe it's something America is not missing.
    Instead, if you ever happen over here again, you might find some original landscapes in the region of Umbria's hills: the small (and quiet) ancient towns of Spello, Assisi etc. and the bigger Perugia just beautifully fit in the country.
    Maybe he can chime inif he reads this.

Venice photography book

Greetings,

I was in Venice last month. I would have liked to have had a LF camera, but I am glad I didn't - Venice is crawling with people. In speaking with a local guide, I was told that if I thought it was crowded then (early April) I should see it during the tourist season. As for the smell - I think they got a handle on the sewage because there was none while I was there.

Early in the morning and late at night are the best times for fewest people to stumble over a tripod, but the morning offers other challenges: Lots of folks scurring about on their way to work and deliveries to the local businesses. Deliveries mean lots of "barge" traffic on the canal and hand trucks scurring about on the sidewalks.

Sorry, but I can't recommend a photo book of Venice.

"...but not the usual tourist/gondolas/grand canal/St.Marks (even Arentz seemed unable to avoid this trap)." - I realize this is a personal/artistic point, but what makes Venice unique are its canals & gondolas, if you're going to purposely exclude these, then you can greatly simplify your life by photographing in other parts of Italy, or other places. Venice is a great city - enjoy and good luck!

Regards, Pete

Venice photography book

Lucy:

No problem taking a large format in Venice. Italians love artists and respect them a lot. You can set up your tripod almost any where. I am based in Vienna and travel to Venice very often. I even once had a Sinar set up on Rialto bridge (now I take my Toyo). I was there last February photographed the carnival and will be there very soon again before it really gets hot.

Venice is crowded by the tourists all year long so try to visit places where normal life is going on. You may have to visit the city a few times (and have some local friends like I do) to find such places.

From October until end of January there are high tides especially early mornings with water level rising as high as your knee so you need a rubber boot, sounds crazy but Venetians have to live with this.

If you want more information email me in private.

Cheers