Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing bag light leak

Changing bag light leak

I am getting light leaks from the elastic arm holes in my changing bag. They are only about 4" long, unlike many tents I've seen with 12"+ arms.

The double zipper makes sense but when I put my arms into the bag, I would have expected that I should be reaching into the second bag through a second set of arm holes to block any light.

Instead, the two bags are stitched together and the arm holes are directly to the inner bag.

Am I missing something?

The only idea I can think now is to extend the arms with some trash bags to help block more light. Any other ideas?

Re: Changing bag light leak

One possibility is to just get another one.

The elastic in the sleeves tends to go bad after a while, so getting some velcro straps that go around the outsides of the sleeves or some rubber or elastic rings for the outside helps...

Also, use your bag in the darkest place you can find, not in the direct sun, etc...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by highkrausen View Post
    [...]Instead, the two bags are stitched together and the arm holes are directly to the inner bag. Am I missing something? [...]
    Yes, indeed - a quality changing bag. Time to shop around.

It's only the second time I used it...

I would like something that I can use in sunlight especially on long backpacking trips.

Are there any good recommendations for a lightweight tent?

Are there any good recommendations for a lightweight tent?
    ZPacks Hexamid Solo 15oz zpacks.com
    any Big Angus bigangnes.com

Changing bag light leak

Ha... I didn't specify, interested in a blackout changing tent.

I am getting light leaks from the elastic arm holes in my changing bag. They are only about 4" long, unlike many tents I've seen with 12"+ arms.

The double zipper makes sense but when I put my arms into the bag, I would have expected that I should be reaching into the second bag through a second set of arm holes to block any light.

Instead, the two bags are stitched together and the arm holes are directly to the inner bag.

Am I missing something?

The only idea I can think now is to extend the arms with some trash bags to help block more light. Any other ideas?
    I put some heavy duty rubber bands around the sleeves to give added "tightness." I will also throw a coat, towel, or something like that as an added precaution if changing during the day.

Cover the changing bag with your darkcloth, if it is large enough. If not, get a couple of yards of black velveteen (it also works well as a light absorbing black background).

Another alternative for a cover cloth is the light blocking white drapery backing material available at sewing stores. It's advantage would be the light reflecting qualities in direct sunlight - it might help keep your changing bag a little cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    I put some heavy duty rubber bands around the sleeves to give added "tightness." I will also throw a coat, towel, or something like that as an added precaution if changing during the day.
    I second the rubber bands.
    Darkcloth additional protections is smart and nto somethign I had thought of.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail