Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco - Mass Transit only, where to go?

Re: San Francisco - Mass Transit only, where to go?

Thank you Randy! I couldn't remember what that company was called. Was Google searching and strangely couldn't find it. I knew it had to be in SF.

I will look into it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The nice thing about urban areas like the San Francisco Bay Area that have a subway system is that if you have a bicycle you really don't need a car: Just bike to the nearest BART station and board with your bike. At the other end you disembark with your 2 wheeled transportation in hand and can much more efficiently tour by bicycle than by walking around hopping on and off of buses. I wouldn't take a LF camera though.

My last several such tours have been with a 645 and 35mm cameras. A 45 to 85mm AF zoom for the 645 is perfect for urban photography and a 150mm lens makes for the ideal “long” lens. Similarly a 35 to 70mm AF zoom and 105mm “macro” for the 35mm. I carried both formats because the Pentax NII doesn't have interchangeable backs and I wanted the option to shoot color negative. Pentax makes or did make soft-focus 135 and MF lens so that option is also available.

Both cameras along with a series 0 Gitzo fits nicely in a small backpack but I wouldn't want to cycle with a pack on my back. What you need is a rear rack on the bicycle and a bungee cord to secure the pack and that's it. You can comfortably tour without wearing a backpack. It may be possible to rent such a bicycle here in the bay area or you can bring your own with you for an extra fee – the last I paid was $75.

Thomas
    You better take a good look at those SF hills! Going up them is not an easy bike ride! Going down them on a bike can be quite a thrill!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You better take a good look at those SF hills! Going up them is not an easy bike ride! Going down them on a bike can be quite a thrill!
    They were also a PITA walking up and down when I was last there in 1981, 30 years old and very healthy.

Taxi!
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Downtown SF can be a nightmare traffic and tripod-wise. People can be incredibly rude, and the bus drivers downright homicidal. But it should be fairly easy to catch a bus that takes you right along the shoreline toward the Golden Gate. There are some nice hiking trails, beaches, viewpoints, tripod-realistic. Good restaurants too. SF mellows out quite a bit towards the beach, though downtown tends to always have some kind of highrise construction going on - photogenic in its own manner. Golden Gate Park is worthwhile. Chinatown always has its stereotypes and crowds; if you go there, take a handheld camera. It's a big city and just getting there and back will take a couple hours each way; so I'd pick just one particular area to concentrate on. Don't worry about the Golden Gate already being photographed millions of times. I've taken hundreds of shots around the Marin Headlands just across the Bridge, and not one of them looks like a tourist postcard. In fact, not a single shot has the Bridge in it! Weather will be unpredictable. Pack a light raincoat.

Drew Wiley

Oh, and as for hills. Don't worry about those if you're conditioned a bit. I'd call em gopher mounds, but they aren't tall enough. Mt Tam just across the Bridge can
    give you a decent workout, but you might not have enough time for Marin County too. Still, if you could just drive across the bridge and up Hwy 1 along the cliffs
    toward Pt Reyes, and then loop back thru the redwoods, it would give you a slice of distinctly California sightseeing. Of course, if you have a car you could do this more efficiently by avoiding SF completely, and using the San Rafael Bridge. I don't know how the holidays will affect traffic, but rush hour is horrible on any bridge, and weekends can be even worse on the SF Bay Bridge. When you get a more specific plan there are realistic routes. I wouldn't bother with Muir Woods unless you want to get trampled to death. It might be nice on a VERY rain day. Otherwise, there are plenty of quieter options for hikes thru the woods, including
    trails with waterfalls.

About five miles from Fort Point (heading out the Golden Gate and away from the city center) is Lands End (the early home of AA where he broke his famous nose in an aftershock of the SF earthquake) and then the site of the old Sutro baths. A clothing optional beach (Baker) in between Fort Point and Lands End if you are into such things, but a nice view of the Golden Gate Bridge at the end of the beach -- with an old gun emplacement...battery...right above the beach.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

My favorite photographic spot in San Francisco is Pier 24. Not for taking photos, but for looking at them. Pier24.org free admission, have to have a reservation (from the web site). Themed exhibits, I've been to three since they opened. Can be amazing.

As Drew and others have said, downtown is often a difficult place for a tripod. But much more doable away from the business core. I've never taken LF to SF. Tend to do medium format. Lots of good suggestions already that I won't repeat. There's a botanic garden in Berkeley that is nice, a bit of an uphill hike from Bart, but not that bad.

Get a Muni map. Bus service is very good. You don't save money, but gain a lot of convenience by getting a clipper card. A stored value card good on Bart and SF Muni. www.clippercard.com There is a bike share system if you feel up to that.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the cable cars yet. Or maybe I missed it. The cable car barn/museum where they drive the cables for the Powell st. lines is interesting for a stop.

SF is one of my favorite cities in the world. My wife and I spent a lot of time while we were dating in the 70s. December weather can be very nice, or it can rain. Plan for both.

There's a museum of comic arts which I enjoy. SOMA, (south of market) not too far from the Museum of Modern Art.

The UC Botanical Garden can be reached by the UC Berkeley campus shuttle from the Mining Circle on weekdays. The walk up Strawberry Canyon is not too bad, just narrow in places. There's a $1 charge on the shuttle for non campus users. There is also the Botanical Garden in Tilden Park (AC Transit on weekends) if you like that sort of subject.

+1 for Pier 24. You need to book a time slot in advance but its free. Sometimes they are between exhibits and nothing is showing. The shows can either be amazing or ho hum, kind of depends.

Thanks for all the additional suggestions! Gotta sit down and plot some routes and such.

Just got in my new bag for this, a Lowepro ProTactic 450aw. Made for DSLRs of course but with some modification of the internal dividers setup I can fit my Chamonix 4x5 + 4 lenses, Nikon SP + 5 lenses, and Rolleicord, plus film and accessories. Not necessarily bringing all of that but just seeing what can fit in here. Weight isn't too bad.

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome