Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help... WD-40 or Not for Sinar P2 cylinder?

Re: Help... WD-40 or Not for Sinar P2 cylinder?

Is it not possible to remove the part and service it properly ? Strip it down clean it and re-assemble/re-fill.

WD-40 is something of last resort, I only use it if nothing else works, I've freed up old shutters with it however I've then made completely sure all traces have been removed. I use sewing machine oil sparingly for lubrication, often diluting it with IPA (Iso Propyl Alcohol).

Ian

As others have said, WD-40 might not be a good idea, it'll be difficult to fully remove if it doesn't work.

About Moebius oil, there are many varieties. I bought a tiny bottle of Moebius oil (forget which one, and can't find it right now) a few years ago - it seems high quality, but the oil I got was a bit more viscous than I wanted. In short, be careful about what you buy, it's not cheap stuff.

Some of those type of cylinders are not oil filled, but use air??? (Or maybe gas filled, but probably not) Check the piston shaft area and around the body to see if there is a trace of oil that might have escaped over time, and if so, the fluid might have to topped off... If air operated, the piston, walls, and seals would need cleaning sometime... Oil cylinders would move very slowly normally, but air moves a little faster but also smooth... Try to figure what kind of cylinder it is first...

Steve K

A light film of Vaseline might be what's needed. It stays in place better than oil would.