Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where To Fly To...Mid-Late December??

Les

Re: Where To Fly To...Mid-Late December??

My suggestion would be along with what Vaughn said, but with a little twist. Organ Pipe has similar cactuses, there is Why (oh, why not) and there is Ajo with that great little church to photograph...Joshua + DV and if you hit it properly, you might arrive at Yosemite just after a snow storm > pure magic. But, you'd have to really scan the weather. Who knows, it just might work out.

Les

Yeah this sounds amazing. I think I plan Chile with a bit more time. And get someone to tag along with me for that trip.

But southern California is tempting. I was working in NW Texas a few months ago and wanted to go on a road trip to Shiprock, NM and shoot around for a few days. I even had the friend watching my cats back home pack up all my LF gear and get it ready to ship to me. But, the timing never ended up working out.

So, perhaps fly to Phoenix? Then drive and camp from there to Yosemite?
    Along the way I could stop at some of the following (I will research):

• Ajo (love old churches)
    • Saguaro
    • Salton Sea Resorts (love stuff like this)
    • Joshua Tree
    • Death Valley
    • Then cap it off at Yosemite (depending on weather)

A separate trip to Yosemite will happen in the next year or so....I am dying to go there and spend a week or more.

I could fly back from Sacramento and return the vehicle there.
    Edit: Nvm. Rental car goes from about 350 to 1050 to return it in Sacramento. So, I will make a loop. In this case I will probably go from the 14th or 15th to the 24th.

Is this do-able in 7-10 days? (just throwing that number out there)

I would leave Yosemite for another trip...just so you would not be rushed in southern Arizona and CA.

Mission out side Tuscon, AZ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lions.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Wow that is an amazing photo.

Well, I was considering making my way to Sacramento anyway, just because a friend is up there I was considering visiting for a day or two.
    But perhaps the 10 days will be too crunched.

I will map out the locations and then driving time...then see what all makes sense/is feasible. Would be nice if I could at least see Yosemite in the wake of a snowy downfall.

Drew Wiley

I dunno even about trying to bag all that here in Calif on your schedule. Death Valley and that whole general area are wonderful to visit in Dec provided you are
    car-camping self-contained per food, water, and a warm sleeping bag. The only two civilized spots in DV, Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells, get awfully crowded with LA motorhome sunbirds around the holidays. But if you are self-contained, there are many other options. Over on Hwy 395 its hard to say how heavy the ski crowd will be heading toward Mammoth. It all depends on the snow. But generally Lone Pine, Big Pine, and Bishop aren't too crowded in winter. Getting over the top and into central California (Sacto, Yos, etc) is a total crap shoot in winter. Allow two days from DV either over Donner of across the Mojave, if a route is open at all. Hard to predict snow levels this far out. Don't underestimate how cold the desert can get at night. It takes a lot of luck to get a fluffy postcardly powder snow in Yosemite Valley in Dec, or some years at all. Might just be gloomy. The eastern Sierra can be more cooperative in that respect because sometimes the paved side roads are still open in winter up to relatively high elevations.

Hmm, thanks Drew for the advice and input. Looks like I will more than likely be flying into San Diego. Then have 9 (almost 10) full days and fly back on the evening of the 10th (flying from Sacramento).

Working backwards will be the 9th day in Sac to visit friend.
    The 7th and 8th day will be in hopes of Yosemite (time to safely get from DV to Sacramento)
    Days 5, 6, and 7 (same deal, leave early) can be in Death Valley. Seems like one could easily spend more days there.
    Day 4 and 5 (leave mid morning, drop him off in Vegas on way to DV) in Horseshoe Bend area
    Day 2 and 3 in Joshua Tree (leave around noon and go stay in/near Flagstaff)
    Day 1, get there in AM and go visit Salton Sea Resort, then camp at Joshua Tree

It is nearly the same mileage if I squeeze in Southern Arizona (Organ Pipe / Ajo) or try to loop around to Northern Arizona.
    About 1600 miles either one. Average of 3-4 hrs of driving per day (obviously more on days I am driving vs getting to location).

In the end I may just need to nix Arizona and travel north up through California.
    But actually, if my buddy tags along with me for the first half I could drop him off at the Las Vegas Airport.

Looks like a fun trip. I'll have to remember these routes in a few years when I retire out of the navy. It should be around this timeframe in 2018. Before I start a second career, I have a desire to do a 2+ week camping/photo expedition before moving on from California.

R/
    Dave

Drew Wiley

Trying to squeeze Arizona in too???? Gosh. Hope you like sitting in a car seat hours and hours and hours on end. You might want to save some time to actually look at things and take a few pictures. You'll wish you had six months off and not ten days. The variety of scenery in California alone will make you wish you had
    far more time. And unpredictable weather might not give you a choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Trying to squeeze Arizona in too???? Gosh. Hope you like sitting in a car seat hours and hours and hours on end. You might want to save some time to actually look at things and take a few pictures. You'll wish you had six months off and not ten days. The variety of scenery in California alone will make you wish you had
    far more time. And unpredictable weather might not give you a choice!
    Ha, I can always leave it to Mr. Wiley for honest advice. And my original idea was Arizona. But it makes more sense (with flights and driving) to fly into San Diego first. That changes things a lot.
    And yes, I know I could spend months there, but not feasible for me. I am willing to bet that even with only 1-2 days I can see a decent amount (not quantity, but quality). Get to a place, set up camp/SUV, then sight see and hike for a day or two. Then on to the next place. Perhaps, it gives me an idea of where I would like to come back and spend days/weeks/months at one day.

To each his own of course. But yes, I will look at everything as it gets closer and the weather and may have to play what comes between A to Z on the fly.

In regards to the crap-shoot that is Yosemite in the winter, what is the best/worst outcome? A good wintry snowfall and drive-able roads? Versus gloomy and dark days, with poor road conditions?

Les

Depending on what your priority is (Yos + snow), you may want to align your trip/destinations so you are within a day or two to pounce on the opportunity. The way I worked it out (knowing that snow storm was "clearing" already), I ended up in a motel at Oakhurst....till they cleared the roads in the park. Ha, camping was out of the question (too stinkin cold). You can't count on Tioga Rd (Rte 120) being open....due to height and it could be shut at any moment> killing your access from E. Sierra....post October. Currently the pass is shut down "temporarily" (???). Anyway, NPS in general keep the roads to and in Yos accessible...as they are interested in revenue stream (to the valley). In any case, it's a worthy goal. However, it's incredibly difficult to predict when (or if) the snow will fall...considering that Calif received v. little snow (or moisture) in the recent years. Additionally, the storm could be rolling from SF to Yos, but v. often it can fizzle out too....before it gets there. Yeah, as if you want to deal with more unknowns.

You could explore Sequoia, Kings Canyon, DV, Joshua, etc. while keeping an eye on the weather in Yos. Anyway, keep it real and try to camp at lower elevations. Exactly month ago I camped at KC (6700ft) and woke up to 30.5F (28 deg earlier) and it's way colder by now. Ha, even my 25 degree sleeping bag couldn't keep me cozy enough (REI bag rating is faulty)....but that's a different subject.

Anyhoo, hope everything lines up as intended....and you can do some snow angels.

Les