Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Where To Fly To...Mid-Late December??

Re: Where To Fly To...Mid-Late December??

Attachment 158527 Attachment 158528 Attachment 158529

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Classic beavertail snowshoes don't work well except on flat terrain, and are much more tiring to walk in unless you're accustomed because you have to walk bow-legged in them.
    It takes some practice, but you can walk and run in snowshoes without moving your legs in ‘flat semicircles’ but rather lifting you feet higher than normal.. Also they are not limited to flat terrain, but are equally good in mountains, wilderness areas, deep forests, and powder snow (much better than the common narrow cross country skis) as they have a much larger footprint, and do not have a long projection in front of your feet. – so you can get very close to a subject if necessary.

QUOTE=Drew Wiley;1366024] If you're prepared and patient, winter travel can be a treat![/QUOTE]
    Absolutely right, it is also interesting to visit the same area in both summer and winter as they can be completely different; especially as the temperature variation can be from 40 below to the high 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You don't have to get far into the woods during a white-out to get lost and in real trouble. Happens to several people every winter, who often are found dead in the snow.
    For some unknown reason, commonsense is left behind when some people take to the mountains (or go out to sea) without adequate preparation. Snowdonia is much less remote and does not have the elevation of the “Rockies or High Sierras”; but all too often people go along trails in high heel shoes, wearing T-shirt s and then get caught out when the weather gets bad or they get tired!! So the mountain rescue people and/or helicopter crews put their own lives in danger to save nincompoops!!

Sorry if I’m harping on about snowshoes and the need to be prepared; but things can go horribly wrong in a very short time. For instance, one May-time we were caught our in a blizzard in Durango, another time when skiing in Utah a whiteout suddenly descended and we had to rely on distorted sounds (from below) and very very careful movements to get down from the moiuntains.
    Attached are three images that may or may not be of interest.

A final note to the OP – do it otherwise you will always regret not taking up the opportunity.
    Regards
    Tony

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

A final note to the OP – do it otherwise you will always regret not taking up the opportunity.
    That's how I ended up going to Torres del Paine - right on the spur of the moment: I had been saving my vacation and sick leave for a European bicycle tour starting in Zurich and ending in Istanbul. Then the company I worked for announced they would no longer roll-over the sick leave so I had to take it before the end of the year or lose it. I quickly searched travel options and choose Torres del Paine for which the timing was right - our winter is their summer - and spent 3 days touring the fjords and 5 days backpacking the "W" inside the park. While trying to line-up an early morning cab ride out to a lighthouse I wanted to photograph, someone ate the lamb stew I was to have for supper. So with the Pentax K1000 I walked a few blocks to a restaurant and would-up meeting and shaking hands with the President of Chile along with a picture of him emerging from the hotel with his Chief of Staff and wife. If the company didn't reverse its policy on sick leave, I would probably have never visited the glaciers of South America, Torres del Paine, or met the president of a foreign country.

When the opportunity arises, TAKE IT!

Thomas

If you really want to concentrate on photography, I would think about the Four Corners area.
    Monument Valley, Arches, Shiprock, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Goose Necks, Bandelier for starters.

Drew Wiley

A warning about the Four Corners area in the winter. It can be downright hot in the day, but with unbelievable temp swings into night, especially in the canyons,
    clear down to around zero F. You need a real-deal winter quality sleeping bag if you're backpacking. I spent one such night down in Kolob Canyons using my
    pack as a pillow because a particular ringtail was very determined to get into it. He'd be standing on my stomach, and I'd turn on my flashlight, and there would
    be that huge pair of eyes just inches from mine. They're incredibly cute; but I could have used a better sleep.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Didn't know about chains on the rental car. I will read the fine print. I ended up not getting a pair anyway, because I have no idea what size/model of SUV they will give me.
    Also, been looking at snowshoes on Craigslist.

And Drew, thanks for the very light-hearted reminders about all the dangers in the woods.
    To be fair though, I am pretty damn prepared and have my head on my shoulders.

I know how to navigate a map (with the use of a compass).
    I have warm clothing, & extra clothing.
    Extra food.
    Extra water.
    Ways to make a fire.
    First aid kit.
    Etc. etc.

That said, even all the sense in the world can sneak up on anyone. The world is a dangerous place. I could freeze to death in the Sierras, or get hit by a car going 80 miles an hour in Houston traffic.

I will be smart, especially if no chains. Stick to roads that are being plowed. And just explore to the best I can within safe and wise frames of mind.
    Plus, many will know my location within reason, and my daily itinerary.

Re: snowshoes

Perhaps these would be an option for emergency use. I have seen them in another store and certainly appear sturdy enough.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...ds%40gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Re: snowshoes Perhaps these would be an option for emergency use. I have seen them in another store and certainly appear sturdy enough.]
    From the picture they seem okay, designed by Canadians - most likely Quebecois who have a long history of needing and using these devices. However, I'm not too sure about the fire making aspect - seems a bit gimmicky if not downright dangerous!

regards
    Tony

Drew Wiley

Ironically, fires are far easier to start during really cold powder snow conditions than warmer, because the wood itself stays relatively dry if the ice crystals aren't
    melting. Otherwise, just carry a Samsung smart phone for emergencies. They catch fire easily!

Hahaha at Drew.
    And I found a pair. Guy has some made by Crescent Moon and will cut me a deal since I am paying cash. Bonus, he is like 10mins from the airport too.

Thanks again all. Packing and loading film holders tonight (vacuuming them first).

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    From the picture they seem okay, designed by Canadians - most likely Quebecois who have a long history of needing and using these devices. However, I'm not too sure about the fire making aspect - seems a bit gimmicky if not downright dangerous!

regards
    Tony
    I agree. But, just in case, you might want to keep them a bit away from the fire?