Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing lens elements from shutter

Removing lens elements from shutter

My 4x5 lens is a Komura Commercial 210mm f/6.3 in a Copal 3. At some point, I will need to send the shutter out for CLA; the aperture lubricants have gotten gummy over years. I know that the front and rear lens groups unscrew, but is this something I should do, or should I leave it to the technician? In other words, what about remounting? Is an optical bench needed to ensure proper distances?
    And, since I am asking about removing elements:
    In the case that it's okay for me to (very carefully) remove the elements, is this a lens design that allows using either the front or rear element group alone, for, perhaps, a longer focal length, as some lenses allow?
    I bought this lens in the late '70s on advice from the dealer, who mounted it in the shutter and lens board for me, and have always been very pleased with it. I have found all of about four mentions of it in searches. #212115, if that's any help to anyone.

Thanks.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Removing lens elements from shutter

The lens is a tessar type. If you don't want to send the cells to the shop -- there's no reason to -- unscrew them, send the shutter, and when the shutter comes back screw the cells back in.

Tessars are not convertible. Double anastigmats (there are many types) are convertible.

Don't worry so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    The lens is a tessar type. If you don't want to send the cells to the shop -- there's no reason to -- unscrew them, send the shutter, and when the shutter comes back screw the cells back in.

Tessars are not convertible. Double anastigmats (there are many types) are convertible.

Don't worry so much.
    Thanks for your reply; good to know that removing the cells is a simple matter.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

the general rule of thumb seems to be if there are spacers between the elements and shutter put them back in the same place.
    Although I've never had spacers in my lenses I understand that they may be used to make up for variances in the manufactoring.

I'd be very surprised if the Komura Commercial 210mm f/6.3 is in fact in a Copal 3# which is quite a large bulky shutter. It's a small light lens and shouldn't be much different to my Congo/Osaka Commercial 210mm f6.3 which is definitely in a Copal #1 shutter. Even the larger 210mm f5.6 Symmar S and similar are in Copal #1 shutters.

Ian

I even have a Congo 240/6.3 (tessar) that is in a #1 shutter.

Guys, I just did a quick search. All of the 210/6.3 Komura Commercials Google found are reported to be in #1 shutters. Fine, wonderful. But what does that have to do with the OP's question of how to extract cells from a shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Guys, I just did a quick search. All of the 210/6.3 Komura Commercials Google found are reported to be in #1 shutters. Fine, wonderful. But what does that have to do with the OP's question of how to extract cells from a shutter?
    Copal #1 shutters or even Compur #1 shutters are quite easy to come by second hand so that's another option, Copal #3 shutters are much rarer and tend to be very much more expensive as a consequence, parts are harder to find for repair shops as well.

The OP should be able to just remove the cells and store them carefully. I've never seen spacers with Tessar & type lenses. However having a Linhof CZ 150mm Tessar that's un-sharp stopped down it's just possible this one does have a missing spacer, but I've only seen spacers with WA lenses were cell spacing is very much more critical.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Copal #1 shutters or even Compur #1 shutters are quite easy to come by second hand so that's another option, Copal #3 shutters are much rarer and tend to be very much more expensive as a consequence, parts are harder to find for repair shops as well.

The OP should be able to just remove the cells and store them carefully. I've never seen spacers with Tessar & type lenses. However having a Linhof CZ 150mm Tessar that's un-sharp stopped down it's just possible this one does have a missing spacer, but I've only seen spacers with WA lenses were cell spacing is very much more critical.

Ian
    It is quite possible that I have a Copal 1. I will look tonight and let you all know. I apologize for any confusion.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

Removing the cells from the shutter is a 30 second job. Leave it to the mechanic or do it yourself, if you don't want to send the glass by mail. It's not complicated and doesn't require special equipment to remount the cells.