Thread: 8x10 film holder carry bag

Scott Davis

8x10 film holder carry bag

I forget if it was here or on Photo.net, but someone had posted something about an Xbox video game system carry bag that would fit 8x10 film holders. I just wanted to add in that I went out and got one for $30 at Target, and it fits not the 6 that the poster claimed, but 9, with room for my darkcloth and light meter on top of the holders. Brilliant bit of packaging that. Now if it would only hold thirteen it would be perfect (one whole box of film's worth).

Any similar suggestions for holding 4 4X5 holders?

I use smaller collapsible cooler bags to hold my 4x5 holders. I even found one that fits my 4x5 camera very well.
    Also, the clear zippered pouches from bedding sets (sheets, pillow cases work well, but no carrying strap.
    For 8x10, it's a difficult fit to find a good fit in the consumer/retail outlets.

I did find and am in the process of purchasing overstock (to resell) direct from a manufacturer for 8x10.
    Holds 6 very well and seven if needed. Insulated qualities are a plus. Cheap too.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

I read the post about the xbox case and thought it was nice to hold holders...

I use a canvas (nylon?) briefcase from an office supply store. It holds 5 8x10 holders comfortably in a zippered main compartment. Then there's sevral pockets in the front, all covered by a flap with another large pocket. This thing holds my dark cloth, two meters, Lee filter system, pad, pencils, tape measure, loupe, and many other small accessories. When I wlak around, camera on tripod, all I need is this bag. Has carry handle and shoulder strap. And also in the $30 range. If you want to go fancy, they also come in real leather for an additional $70 or so...

I spent a lot of time searching for the 'perfect' walk-around carry-all, and this was it for me...

Doug Dolde

Gnass would seem to be the best.

Try the insulated/nylon collapsible ice chests with the carry/shoulder straps. The small ones hold my 4x5 & 5x7 filmholders with the larger style working great or my 8x10 thru 4x5 filmholders. Work great for storing my filmholders in a dust free environment and keep them cool in the hot summer. JW

Scott Davis

Jon -

Do you have a particular brand that you prefer? where did you buy them? I have a big cooler bag but it is pizza-sized, and I'd rather not carry around something THAT large just for my 8x10's.

Scott- I found a "purple" one with side netting which holds my 8x10 at Target last summer or so for less than $15. It has the shoulder strap and can carry 10-12 8x10 filmholders. It was cheap and being a K-State grad....couldn't help but like the color

I found exactly what I was looking for at Target yesterday, for $17.99. It's a vertical-carry laptop computer bag. Four 8x10 holders (in plastic ziplock bags) fit into the padded computer compartment, while an unpadded back compartment comfortably carries my focusing cloth, loupe, Pentax spot meter, and (probably) a well-wrapped lens. Smaller front pockets fit filters and the holder, cloths, pens, notepad, etc. When all is said and done, I can carry pretty much everything I need in this one bag and, with a lens on the camera, the 8x10 B&J Grover camera outfit weighs about the same as my 4x5 Wiser outfit (albeit with one more lens and 9 film holders.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.