Thread: Quickset tripods

Quickset tripods

I find no postings, at all, on the beefy, all-metal, Quickset tripod line and am wondering if any of you ULFers have ever considered them or have had any experience with them. They are apparently quite expensive and, of course, quite heavy, but wouldn't they be ideal for extremely large cameras? I am manufacturing a 16x20 field camera, and am prepared to pay the price if it is the right alternative.

Quickset tripods

As new they are very expensive, but they are way heavier than most people want so are rather inexpensive on eBay and other used markets.

They are good tripods once one gets beyond the weight issue.

Quickset tripods

I have the Hercules model, appropriately named. It weighs over 30 lbs with the head and can hold up to 150 lbs. I keep a Sinar P 8x10 on it at home. It's definitely overkill for me, but I was fortunate enough to get it for quite a good price--free (thanks Jerry!). The thing I like most is how smooth and secure the head is. It allows me to securely tilt the camera down for macro work without worrying that it's going to give. As Ernest said, the tripod will handle anything you can put on it. What are the alternatives you're considering?

Quickset tripods

I have no alternatives so far, although I did consider a Saltzman, which is also heavy. The Quickset seems a better choice.
    Are there any others out there that come close in strength and rigidity? I have also heard it argued that rigidity is not as important as ability to dampen vibration, hence the appeal of wooden tripods. Any thoughts?

Quickset tripods

That's getting into the can-o-worms territory. I have no idea what's the best combination of materials and weight for optimal vibration dampening (damping?). In Barry Thornton's book Edge of Darkness, he shows photos taken with light and heavy tripods. The heavy one (a Manfrotto) wins hands down. He didn't go into wood vs. metal vs. CF. Michael Smith uses a Ries for his 18x22. Anecdotal to be sure, but he's not one to compromise on anything. Regardless of material, choose the heaviest you can manage, I guess.

Quickset tripods

Damping ;>)

Quickset tripods

I have used a Majestic for 30+ years and it is as good, I think as any on the market. The Majestic head beats all the ball wonders hands (feet? whatever) down. It is smooth, strong, you don't have to lock the tilt and etc. etc. It is next to perfect.

Quickset tripods

I agree with Richard. Another thing I like about the Majestic is the spring on the mounting screw which makes the
    mounting of the camera on the tripod much easier.

Jerry