Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MOD54 vs. Jobo 2509n minimum developer for 6-sheet inversion processing

Re: MOD54 vs. Jobo 2509n minimum developer for 6-sheet inversion processing

Hi Simos,

In almost any real-world photo, the contrast range of the subject greatly exceeds the range that the film can capture.

I don't know of any films that have extended contrast range, although supposedly some developers can achieve that.

The only option you have is to control the development by adjusting the time.
    Ansel Adams covered the technique in his book.

Film density builds up with time, up to the maximum possible at any specific point in the negative.
    The thin parts (shadows in the print) develop to completion very fast, while high-density areas take more time.
    So in order to decrease the over-all density of the negative, you reduce the development time.

To achieve predictable results using this technique requires careful calibration of the entire process.
    This requires the use of a spot meter to determine exposure parameters, and experimentation with development.

I would consider this an advanced technique, appropriate for a junior or senior level class.
    Given that you're still at the freshman level, perhaps it's good to just file this for future reference.

I suggest you hone your skills and perfect your techniques with "average" subjects to yield good prints.
    Once you can get very good results consistently, then consider expanding your tool kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Simos Xenakis View Post
    Are there physical lens filters that will lower contrast?
    I don't know of any that will change a scene's contrast. Neutral-density filters make a scene darker, but all areas are darkened by the same amount, so the same contrast remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Simos Xenakis View Post
    I've read that certain lenses (modern Fuji, and maybe Nikons) give a more contrasty/sharp/modern/digital looking result.
    Some lenses have more apparent contrast than others.
    However, the difference that I've seen has been minimal.
    Obviously this will vary depending on which exact lenses are compared.

Also, note that there can be a lot of variation between any two examples of a specific lens.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    Another MOD45 user here. I`d say it is somewhat easy to came loose the film if -extra care- is not taken.
    When the tank is inverted gently, I`m able to perform four inversions in less than 15" without any problem. I do it quite often.
    Even with gentle agitation they can come loose with the mod54
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Hard rubber 1/2 gallon tanks and hangers. Replenish. Three tanks 6 hangers should cost about 35 bucks. This is so easy all you need is a closet at night and a timer.
    Stand development, any kind of agitation you want. Sometimes I skip my Jobo and expert tanks for the calm and quiet of hangers and hard rubber tanks.
    Peace be with you Mike