In a the March 2005 issue of Scientific American, pages 94-95, there is a quote:

"MEGAPIXEL MAX: A so-called four megapixel camera has a CCD with 4 million pixels. The Higher this resolution, the sharper the photograph. But affordable lens systems cannot resolve light into more than six or eight megapixels, Kodaks Gary Hallenbeck says. So consumers touting 10 to 12 megapixel sensors will not create an overall sharper image. The higher count does help make images clearer when using digital zoom."

So, my questions are: If lenses cant resolve more clearly than the equivalent of 6 - 8 megapixels, then why does large format do soooo much better?? Seems to me that medium format, 4x5 and anything larger can out perform anything the digital world can provide. Are the lenses we use for large format really so bad?? What about the newer medium format CCD digital cameras? doesn't this apply to the above quote also? And last, I think this topic directly applies to large format, as there are already LF dig backs out there.