Thread: Suggestions for Epson 7900 with totally clogged Green and Light Cyan heads...

Suggestions for Epson 7900 with totally clogged Green and Light Cyan heads...

Okay so there is a long backstory here but it's really irrelevant. Long story short I have an Epson 7900 with what I believe is unfixable clogging in the Green and Light Cyan heads. All the other heads are working fine.

I've just wasted hundreds of dollars trying to get those heads cleared with no luck.

So the question now is do I cut my losses and scrap the stupid thing or do I try something else. I would love to try one of the black and white only print solutions but I have exactly zero knowledge of the technical aspects of those solutions. Through very brief Google searching the carbon inks seem most interesting as I like matte printing.

Is it possible to get a system working with two of the heads unusable? The Piezography site shows "optional" inks - can the inks be "rerouted" to good heads? Googling for answers I can find very little information here. Also, the sites for some of these companies are hopelessly filled with charts and meaningless gobbledygook, I don't know how they can sell people on this stuff with that.

Another option is buying some cleaning cartridges and trying a bit more to fix these two heads. Thoughts?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Suggestions for Epson 7900 with totally clogged Green and Light Cyan heads...

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    matte printing.

Is it possible to get a system working with two of the heads unusable? The Piezography site shows "optional" inks - can the inks be "rerouted" to good heads? Googling for answers I can find very little information here. Also, the sites for some of these companies are hopelessly filled with charts and meaningless gobbledygook, I don't know how they can sell people on this stuff with that.

Another option is buying some cleaning cartridges and trying a bit more to fix these two heads. Thoughts?
    Yes, as long as you have six or seven clear nozzles it is possible to use Piezography by remaping the basic Piezography curves. It is really quite easy to do, contact either Jon Cone or Walter Blackwell for help.

You could also try to clear the head with cleaning cartridges. To do this you just need to buy a set of cartridgees, fill them with flushing solution, and do several initial fills and then leave the solutions in the machine for a a few days or weeks. Unfortunately this sometimes does not work so you could spend the money and still not clear the head.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Suggestions for Epson 7900 with totally clogged Green and Light Cyan heads...

I just found the cleaning cartridges for sale and I did not realize they were so expensive. This is more and more likely to be going to the scrapyard soon.

Looking again at the Piezography system I don't think it makes financial sense for me to invest in that right now, especially with a printer that may very well develop more problems.

I had a badly clogged 3800 and let the print head sit on folded handiwipes soaked with windex. After two sessions of this, the head cleared completely.

Cleaning cartridges don't have to be expensive, nor is cleaning fluid. I might have some for your printer. Pm me your address and I'll send you two filled ones. I use Simple green aircraft cleaner plus distilled water.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

PM'd