Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "New" IQsmart2 has arrived

Re: The "New" IQsmart2 has arrived

Do you tape the film to the mask or did you make the opening a tad larger than the film so the mask acts as a guide to position the film? The 4 x 5 mask that i got with the scanner has holes that are slightly smaller than the film size so I have to tape the film onto the mask and then put the mask (with film) over the locating pins. A little bit of a PITA, but not so hard. I'm pretty sure the scanner bed is ANR glass so should cause no issue with Newton's Rings - which seems to be your experience.

First results

I've started re-scanning the photos I took this past April in Japan with the 4 x 5 Technika/Ilford FP4+.

Day and Night. Can't believe I waited so long to upgrade from the Epson (which for what it, is a really good price performer unless you're as crazy as i am about shadow detail and texture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Madoiwa small.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	155917

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Do you tape the film to the mask or did you make the opening a tad larger than the film so the mask acts as a guide to position the film? The 4 x 5 mask that i got with the scanner has holes that are slightly smaller than the film size so I have to tape the film onto the mask and then put the mask (with film) over the locating pins. A little bit of a PITA, but not so hard. I'm pretty sure the scanner bed is ANR glass so should cause no issue with Newton's Rings - which seems to be your experience.
    No, I don't tape, I just lay the film on the bed.
    To cut out the 8x10 mask, I used an old sheet of 8x10 film, and cut 1mm extra on each side.
    Yes, it's more of a guide, but I find it's the simplest and easiest way to work and still get excellent results.

Jim,

Congratulations on you IQSmart2 scanner. Michael Streeter is a True Gem of a Gentleman. I use an Eversmart Pro II on 2.6.3 for now. However i WOULD had not confine the scanner to a very tight cabinet as you had illustrated, solely for airflow and and now hearing of your back issue. I bought a sturdy shop workbench that i flat and has ample room for airflow. I have my two scanners mounted on top of the counter. My Imacon Precision III and the Eversmart Pro II. I also have the Eversmart Oil Mount Kit, ready for any highly detail scanning, but never found the need to use it it.

You can cut you own mask from a blank Precision Register punch mask or buy the Mix Multi-Mask from Michael. At one point I use to use Ruby Litho tape to tape down my film, but its getting harder to find so I do my best to position in a quadrant that ia can Define Mask by position (X & Y Coordinates) when setting it up.

Good Luck and enjoy this scanner. It is capable of doing fine work and I would not trade or sell mine scanner. The drum scanner delivers the best result, but at a huge cost factor or ROOM, SPARE PARTS, and Repair service.

Evan

Thanks Evan.

It's hard to see in the picture but there's a bank of cooling fans in the back of the cabinet. I usually just pull the shelf out and let it sit out in the open while it's running.

Do you guys really not see a difference between wet/dry mounting? I find a huge difference in dust, and a small difference in sharpness, so I almost always wet mount. With really dense negs I also mask around the image because there can be flare that only shows up when you start tweaking in ps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wet scanned 100% on the Epson and will probably give it a try on the IQsmart, but so far the dry scans are quite acceptable - wet scan might be better, but I'm not sure any improvement would be worth it. I guess I'll find out.

I haven't felt the need to wet-mount on my scanner (Eversmart Pro); it may be unsuited to such a purpose, anyway.
    But when I used a V750, I never saw any difference between wet and dry scans, except that for dry scans I had to remove dust, whereas with wet scans I had to get rid of those annoying air bubbles.
    I chose dust.

The greatest thing Photoshop has done in years is the spot healing brush IMHO used to take forever to spot a neg, now it's minutes. (Either way is better than the old red rouge-y stuff that used to come in a tiny bottle.

I agree with Ari. With your film probably not being any bigger than 4X5, you would be HARD press to tell the difference between Non-Oil Mounted scan versus an Oil Mounted scan.

If you are scanning anything better than 4X5, then that is where it will show greater detail. Your final scan will of be dependent on a Perfectly exposed image.

There would be a better final image also if you re going to have a big enlargement of a 35mm scan.

AS for dust, why not invest in a small Sears Compressor with an air spray nozzle? That was how we manage the dust and dirt at the mount mounting moment. That was of course when we had (6) Crosfield Drum Scanners in a raised temperature controlled room.

For home use, I use the following product:

Metro Vacuum ED500P DataVac 500-Watt, .75-HP Electric Duster

Micro Vacuum Attachment Kit - 7 Piece Kit

These two items purchased off Amazon for $64..

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I haven't felt the need to wet-mount on my scanner (Eversmart Pro); it may be unsuited to such a purpose, anyway.
    But when I used a V750, I never saw any difference between wet and dry scans, except that for dry scans I had to remove dust, whereas with wet scans I had to get rid of those annoying air bubbles.
    I chose dust.