Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is better for very heavy load: wood or CF and why. Read, only 2 are considered.

Re: Which is better for very heavy load: wood or CF and why. Read, only 2 are conside

I own both an A100 and J100 Ries tripod. Both are equipped with Ries double tilt heads. The heads are more like large platforms than heads and are extremely sturdy. They also work really well with the Ries tripods becoming a very solid extension of the tripod.

I also love the Ries leg locks. You can lock any leg in any position if you are on some crazy terrain like big rocks or steps or something. I always lock the legs for added security. A Ries is one sturdy tripod, especially with the legs locked.

I'm sure carbon fiber is lighter but that just makes it easier to steal in Chicago or St. Louis for that matter!

Re: Which is better for very heavy load: wood or CF and why. Read, only 2 are conside

Another plus for the wood is if you were a little nervous about something like leg locks, putting on an extra stabilizer arm, leg extensions, etc, you would have no trouble drilling a hole for a wood screw somewhere, or clamping something to it, or some other modification, etc... And maybe something cheaper like a surveyor's tripod you could hack??? (New CF will cost the most...)

Steve K

Randy,
    I don't own either one but from what I know about you and where you are and what it's like photographing in the city I would choose the wooden one, unless you are going out on a bike like I used to do. It seems it would dampen vibrations that you are likely to encounter from the wind and possibly traffic, and set-up would be somewhat easier than dealing with all those sections of legs.

Oh, and what is another + with wood is that if someone sees you shooting on a wood tripod, their first thought is that you are not a photog, but a surveyor, tradesman, or something else...

CF looks $$$!!!

Steve K

Re: Which is better wood or CF and why. Read, only 2 are considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Oren. I can't buy both!
    Didn't mean that at all. Go for whichever Ries A-series set fits your budget.

With a wooden tripod if you are trapped in the winter you can burn it to keep warm. Same for Deardorffs.

Drew Wiley

Although the CF will be lighter to carry and certainly capable of holding the weight of the camera, the wooden Ries has the mass to hold the camera steadier, esp
    in WIND, and will be a lot tougher over the long haul. It also has a bigger top platform, which I personally use to mount the camera directly to, for maximum stability, versus a tripod head. I do use both types of tripods, depending on circumstances. Although the ply construction of CF is quite strong in terms of support, if this material gets a hard scratch or indentation, it's basically over for that leg. I've seen it happen, even to Gitzos. I have broken a Ries leg, but that's cause it got dropped off a cliff, and even that leg they replaced for free! One helluva warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Although the CF will be lighter to carry and certainly capable of holding the weight of the camera, the wooden Ries has the mass to hold the camera steadier, esp
    in WIND, and will be a lot tougher over the long haul. It also has a bigger top platform, which I personally use to mount the camera directly to, for maximum stability, versus a tripod head. I do use both types of tripods, depending on circumstances. Although the ply construction of CF is quite strong in terms of support, if this material gets a hard scratch or indentation, it's basically over for that leg. I've seen it happen, even to Gitzos. I have broken a Ries leg, but that's cause it got dropped off a cliff, and even that leg they replaced for free! One helluva warranty.
    Speaking of Ries, I understand that the company recently changed hands it that true? Has there been any changes to their warranty/service?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Speaking of Ries, I understand that the company recently changed hands it that true? Has there been any changes to their warranty/service?
    Copied from Ries website just now.

http://www.riestripod.com/faqs/terms-and-conditions/

"5. Limited Warranty

Seller supplies as its sole warranty the following:

Tripods and Heads are warranted for life to the original purchaser

The warranty shall last for Life to the original purchaser.

The warranties provided for herein shall be governed by Seller’s warranty policies in effect on the date of shipment."
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Let's hear from Gitzo fans about http://www.gitzo.us/series-5-magnesi...luid-3way-head
    Is it good enough, can it carry more than the 22lbs rating?
    Good enough for what?

If it could carry 25 pounds, they'd rate it at 25 pounds.

Basic laws of economics and marketing here.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.