Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plumbing a Mixing Valve

Re: Plumbing a Mixing Valve

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I should have expounded on the source configuration.

Each input line (hot and cold) should have a ball valve to shut it off completely.
    That's necessary for stopping water flow when you change the filter element.

From the ball valve each line goes to a water filter.
    Those need to be installed before the temperature control to protect it from junk.

From the filter you run the line to the individual faucets (if used) and to the inputs to the temperature control.

The output of the temperature control goes to the faucet that supplies controlled water.

- Leigh
    Be aware that there are "special" filter housings rated for hot water. But I don't know if they are really necessary for typical home hot water temps.

The point about filtering "junk" out prior to the mixing valve is a good one. I'm on well water, so I filter my water when it comes into the house (and again past the mixing valve). Even city water can have stuff in it after work on water mains. And some homes still have old iron pipes.

Since the mixing valve is used I would suggest plumbing it minimally first, perhaps using washer hoses with the right adapters just to see if it works ok without leaks. There are generally rubber seals on these mixing valves that wear out over the years. You wouldn't want to spend a lot of money plumbing only to find it needs new hard-to-find o-rings.

I had an entire post on how I plumbed my Intellifaucet. Search on this site. I'll post the link:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=intellifaucet
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 21-Dec-2019 at 09:55.