Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What does "formal" mean to you?

Drew Wiley

Re: What does "formal" mean to you?

Nice to have an expert chime in finally. Sooooooo .... (rhymes with mooooo), John, since you own a Stetson cowbody hat you should be able to answer this, what
    Zone do you place a black Angus on versus a pale Brahma?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Nice to have an expert chime in finally. Sooooooo .... (rhymes with mooooo), John, since you own a Stetson cowbody hat you should be able to answer this, what
    Zone do you place a black Angus on versus a pale Brahma?
    LOL! If they're bulls, I want them to be in a different zone (pasture) than me.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

There is an analogy with how people chose their clothes, there is formal style and there is casual style and there is a lot in between. I think it is a helpful analogy because both clothes and pictures are about appearances, sometimes they can be revealing and sometimes deceitful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted R View Post
    There is an analogy with how people chose their clothes, there is formal style and there is casual style and there is a lot in between. I think it is a helpful analogy because both clothes and pictures are about appearances, sometimes they can be revealing and sometimes deceitful.
    Also what you wear that looks good in your country if you wore it in another part of the world they would laugh at you!

Concerning my photography, I never have had much in mind words like "formal", and I don't know if it is formal from time to time, or everytime - but after reading this thread, this word seems to lurk beyond every corner, so I may think a bit about "formal"...

The Back cover of Shinzo Maeda's fantastic book "Grass and Trees" describes things like complete landscapes or solitaire plants, blowing and fading, structures and flowing movements as content and formal parts of Maedas landscapes.

So to me, separating content and "formal" seems to be tricky, it looks like they are working hand in hand.

If Maeda's pictures are qoted as formal, I can't find them boring, au contraire !

While thinking now about "formal" - it may be the opposite of "artistic" ?
    But I find Maeda's work artistic, too...

Ritchie

Robert's excerpt doesn't refer to 'the' center - but to 'a' center, of interest. So that's anywhere in the frame. I'd say your image is quite formal. The geometry is pretty balanced. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 11.28.46 PM.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	199812
    check this out.

White gloves, tails, braces, ascot, top hat, patent leather shoes, studs, pleated shirt, cashmere overcoat. Sort of like a Fred Astaire.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

For what it's worth, "formal" in art-speak just means having to do with form.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Drew Wiley

It means a print worthy to be dressed up in a suit and tie and placed in a coffin, or in my case, the wastebasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It means a print worthy to be dressed up in a suit and tie and placed in a coffin, or in my case, the wastebasket.
    Mine get a white sport coat and a pink crustacean, LOL!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White