Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

Re: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

As to re-preciating I've semi restored a couple of LF cameras: one half plate, one 8x10 in progress. Neither are gee whiz cameras but they make me happy.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    This is actually a good point. A couple of years ago I wrote a blog post about a certain Nikkor lens, and one that had never been looked at or reviewed by Ken Rockwell. I suddenly got tons of hits on my blog - like 5x the normal number - all on that one post. A little bit later the prices spiked on eBay 50-75%. I didn't intend for it, but I happened to have an extra one so I sold it on eBay for double what I paid.

Watch prices on vintage lenses/cameras when a well-known reviewer or blogger writes a piece about it.

I have also noticed the spike in Pentax 67 gear. Funny thing is I sold all of my P67 gear to fund my 4x5 stuff last time it hit a spike, and then bought it all back last year for 30-50 cents on the dollar that I sold it for. I'm holding onto it, this time.

hi corran

i have done the same thing.
    some of the plate/box cameras i use typically
    cost about 20, maybe $30 when i bought them ...
    i have been looking for septums for one ( supposed to have 12, came with 8 ), been looking for 15 years ...
    i'd rather buy a camera so i don'thave to attempt to make my own ... anyways,
    i have written articles and shown images in my blog and elsewhere from these junque cameras
    and now unfortunately i can't afford to buy an extra junquer to use the septums .. trippled or 5x the price now ..
    at least for the "upscale" model, the entry level clunquer model doesn't appear for sale much ..
    but i am sure when it does there will be a tag " ultra rare " and somebody will buy it for $150-200 and have as fun with it.

you want these unloved things cheap but now they are loved and expensive, kind of like the 1972 rust bucket of a vw bug down the road,
    the guy wants 15,000$ for something that has been parked in "salt air" and not run for 5-10 years... it used to be advertised as $150 "needs a little work"
    ( needs a little work used to be code for: sieized engine, flintstone mobile ( holes in floorboards ) rusted out heat channels, great for lawn sculpture or parts hog )

Counterpoint:

Seems to be a steady refrain that affordable, meaning almost free, gear is gone. I disagree, notice the 'Great Purge' thread here, where long term LFPF members 'have to clear' their abode. Purgers don't get top price as they are in a hurry. 'The End is Near' mentality. Others are good samaritans and give gear away to preserve the Art. I have bought out purgers, I have been given much but I also pay top dollar for something I want. Consider it as a whole and find what you spend on average.

How many people are throwing out film, prints and gear? Plenty as evidenced here.

We don't have industry numbers on film, chemistry and SG paper sales. Do we? We are missing data.

I added a new link to my sig below. A story about me 3 years ago. I have not changed my tune, and hope I don't as I endure frailties of age.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    [...] Others are good samaritans and give gear away to preserve the Art.
    Yes, as partial evidence is the gear some of us donated to Greg Hindy, including you, Randy. You also gifted him with your time and expertise. Thanks for being there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Yes, as partial evidence is the gear some of us donated to Greg Hindy, including you, Randy. You also gifted him with your time and expertise. Thanks for being there.
    Greg cost me actual cash. I rented a car to go get him and 3 days later replace him in situ. I dislike spending money on cars.

But I got more from him, in story and song. I still follow his adventure. Right now he is nearing US from Canada in snow.

All good!
    Tin Can

When's the last time you saw me post in the classified's? OK, now go see how often I post at all compared to before. 'nuff said. It affects the larger community. Lots of old timers losing interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    When's the last time you saw me post in the classified's? OK, now go see how often I post at all compared to before. 'nuff said. It affects the larger community. Lots of old timers losing interest.
    +1

I just don't feel welcome here.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    +1

I just don't feel welcome here.

Charley
    +2 The moderating of the Classifieds is having that effect. I've recently posted a Wanted advert on two other forms when this might be more apprpriate.

Ian

-3+
    Tin Can

Here is an idea! Prospective buyer puts money into a silo fund! They limit their exposure to the genre/items they wish to purchase. The rest of us gamble upon the likelihood of that occurring. I'm ready.