Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing Reel Case for Lens - Anyone using? Recommendations?

Re: Fishing Reel Case for Lens - Anyone using? Recommendations?

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into the ones mentioned.

I have the fishpond cases as well--2 which carry 3 lenses ea as well as a single--Obviously they add weight & bulk to one's pack, but they are well protected and one can organize, take along, as the needs might be.

Raymond, In the Vail Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    I use the Cabela's but Fishpond has a really good one as does Orvis.
    I have all three, using them for more that just lenses. Assuming they are still made like mine are. The Cabellas is the cheapest and the lightest. It is the most pliable too (softest). The dividers do not hook to the bottom so they move around a lot. If I was backpacking I would probably use this one because of the weight, but if it were squished into a backpack it's possible the lensboards could make contact because of the lack of rigidity of the case and dividers. The other two are more rigid but there is a weight penalty as a result. I use them for my spare lenses and other gear that I don't use on most shots. I use Photobackpacker multi-lens cases in my backpack because they are rigid and light, though these cases under conversation here would work too given the caveats I mentioned here.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'm using the below, and like it very much:

Allen Company Big Fork Fishing Reel and Gear Bag, Olive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MK16KPG..._PXV5xbQS3BAF6

BTW, this smaller one does pretty good service as a 4x5 holder case:
    Allen Company Willow Creek Fishing Reel Bag, Olive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MK16L00..._NZV5xbA411AGK

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I have also packed mounted lenses in sandwich bags stuffed into Crown Royal bags..
    I also have been using Crown Royal bags. I was skeptical at first of the limited protection they seemed to offer but in the hundreds of times that I have used them to carry lenses, meters, and more, I have never had anything dent, scratch, or or show any wear. Usual outfit is a Chamonix with its OEM padded wrap, film holders in their OEM padded cases, and everything else in Crown Royal bag. Have carried a dozen items in this way in my vintage Dana backpack without a single problem. Found a silver marker pen at Michael's Art Supplies to mark the outside of the Crown Royal bags. Nice thing about the Dana backpack is that it was made to carry 20 or 30 pounds of camping equipment comfortably on ones back for miles unlike Photo dedicated backpacks that I've found to be not so comfortable after a hour of hiking. Exception was a large Crumpler Karachi Outpost photo backpack that I used for years. Loved it but ergonomics of packing equipment in it less than ideal.... interior of Crumpler was too rounded.

Thanks all - after looking I have settled on a Shimano case - it is a little bigger than some of the ones mentioned and will hold Linhof mounted lenses and Lee Hood and filters. Will be able to pack three lenses, Lee Hood and rings, Lee 4x6 filters, and light meter with no problems. Seems as well made as the others I looked at with at least as much padding.