Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any elder photo grunts still out there?

Any elder photo grunts still out there?

Years ago, b&w LF photography was THE mainstream advertising medium and not simply a craft thingy with which dilettantes now dabble, in between ceramics classes and botox injections.

In those days, schools which considered photography an art, trained their budding photographic artistes in the art department. Those schools who believed photography was a trade, located their photo department in the same grungy building with the print shop and auto body shop.

I was trained to be an artiste at Art Center College of Design, where students agonized daily over the meaning of life and the existential character of hyper-reality and the human condition. It was beneath us to lean how to retouch nose hair in a portrait. Words like “history” became “historicity”. No one took “shots” or even “photographs” anymore; he only made “images”. Cable release in one hand, glass of white wine in the other.

A slightly out-of-focus image of a smashed mushroom became a paradigm into the obtuse tortured soul of the artiste. When I naively asked the student to elaborate, I was told that if he had to explain it to me I would never understand. He was probably right.

Perhaps you can tell that the art thing didn’t quite take, in my case. So after a few years of assisting some reely, reely big Hollywood photographers, I returned to New England to shoot 8x10 b&w commercial/industrial photography with other real men. Guys who look for the Guldens’ mustard in the gourmet aisle.

As a staff photographer in a large catalogue studio, I became a grunt in the old-time photographic infantry. Given an 11x14 Deardorff with an 8x10 reducing back and a few Mole-Richardson lights, I was expected to turn out a tastefully lit, properly exposed and tray-developed sheet of Super XX every fifteen to thirty minutes, all day long.

We shot Breck shampoo bottles, Absorbine Junior, S&W handguns, Milton Bradley games, Stanley tools, Church toilet seats and Columbia bicycles. Even did a catalogue of porta-potties and another of oak caskets.

Most negs were silhouetted with Kodak opaque. And each was contact printed onto between 25 and 500 sheets of Azo, before being ferro typed on huge gas-fired Pako drum dryers. It was a production line. Cases upon cases of glossies went out the door every day.

We didn’t have time to agonize over the human condition nor anything else. At those market rates for commercial photography, as Nike says, we had to just do it.

Unlike the artistic crowd, we had to keep moving. And our equipment and material decisions reflected that. We couldn’t spend a half hour frolicking in a tray of 1:100 Rodinal, nor did we have time nor budget to horse around with toning that many prints. We couldn’t afford Polaroid check shots. There wasn’t time to go into a trance over Merklinger’s Hinge Rule; we just bumped the massive wooden front standard with our elbow until it looked sharp.

Never in our wildest dreams did we imagine doing anything “archival”. Never heard the word. Like the old-timer on the RFD Channel said the other day about his antique manure spreader, "One of the best machines ever made, even if the manufacturer did refuse to stand behind it".

Very, very different from much of the conversations I read on today’s photographic forums.

I don’t mean to sound truculent, nor even vitriolic. I have enormous admiration for anyone who bothers to wrestle with a wooden camera these days. And I can certainly learn a whole bunch from the mad chemists brewing their Pyro potions. In fact, I sometimes feel like a Midas Muffler guy touring the Ferrari factory.

But I can’t help wondering how many of us elder photo grunts with chemically tainted brown fingernails who actually earned a living at this are still left here.

Semper Fi...

John,

I'm not an old "photo grunt," but you should write a book about your expriences in the industry. I always enjoy reading your informative and humorous posts.

John,

a professional photographer of today will one day post a message somewhere, if there are some elder photo grunts with callosity on their fingers (from typing and mouse-clicking) and who have met with Microsoft Windows.

I'm happy that I do not have to make a living from photography. I'm not sure, if I would still like it. And if I would work on GM assembly line, I would still have appreciation for race technicans discussing fuel mixtures.

I worked for plenty of old crumungeons. But I think you're different than most of them, because here you are, still curious if not a little burnt out. Most of the old farts I worked for were real bastards who got work because they sucked up, not because they were good photographers. In fact, some were barely acceptable photographers. And now they are either indigent or living off their wife's pension.

I bet you were the best in town in your day. It still shows.

John, Ben is right.
    You should write a book. You are a very gifted writer and your love/frustration transpires through your words.
    Take a shot at it!

John,
    I enjoyed your post. I can relate to your turning out cases of prints only very slightly. In 1979 I was hired on by the studio that used to be the official photographers for the America's Junior Miss Pagent. At that time there were major corporate sponors like Coca-Cola, and Kraft Foods to name only two. That night myself and two other photographers had to shoot a food event sponsored by Kraft Foods. We had been given the names of the three winning girls that had submitted recipes for the Kraft party. We had to position ourselves near them to catch the surprised expressions when they were announced and then with the Kraft officials afterwards. When the party was over we had to drive back to the studio develop the film select the best shots of the winners and officals and then print, dry and prepare mailings of 5,000 8x10's before 6 am the next morning. RC paper wasn't an option. I had to man the fixing trays and was up to my elbows in fixer and prints that night. My experience, albiet, small compared to yours is memorable. I can't say I'm an "Old Photo Grunt", I'm just a photographer that is getting old and grunts. Cheers.

Octogenarian

Hi John,

I can relate with what you are saying, up to a point. The school that I attended many years ago was teaching me to be a "go- fer". You, on the other hand worked as a "grunt". Certainly a notch up from the training I received. I worked in a couple of photography "factories" early on. Being young and eager, I found it exciting, but not fun.

My father always said that photography was a rich man's hobby and a poor man's way of making a living. I soon began to realize what he was telling me, so I went back to school, changed my career, and have kept photography as my hobby for nearly sixty years now. I think that if I had decided to make photography my primary method of making a living, I would have burned out on it long ago.

How are you coming along with your Shopsmith?

Hi John

graduated in 1976 from photo school, I have been working in the industry ever since, started at 6am this morning made 6 cross processed prints, right now working on a lith print order and this evening doing some traditional warmtone images, I will wash the floor before I go. Yes my fingernails are brown and proud of it.

wfwhitaker

"But I can’t help wondering how many of us elder photo grunts with chemically tainted brown fingernails who actually earned a living at this are still left here."

Not me. I'm a dilettante.

Are you saying you weren't allowed to sip white wine while shooting those bottles of Breck Shampoo, John? ;-)

Fun post, even if you weren't allowed to wear your art-school beret. When I got out of the service in the '60s, I had high hopes of making photography a career. Then, I found out how little they made, and how expensive those art schools were. So, like Eugene, I just kept it as a (sometimes affordable) hobby.