Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Instax Wide as "scouting"

Fuji Instax Wide as "scouting"

The instax Wide is supposed to be nearly the size of 4x5 (though smaller still). Given its style of shooting, I think this camera could actually be used as a scouting/planning tool. Has anyone else thought of this? My thought process was basically while I'm walking about, shoot the instax at a building/subject I want to ponder a composition on. When I get home, tack the photo to my cork-board behind my desk and ponder on it. I'm thinking mostly of local or localish subjects, but the same could be done while traveling if your at the same spot for a while, or plan to return during another time of year.

Just a thought, anyone else care to chime in?

I have an itch for one for a number of reasons for an instax. Part of it being my daughter (4) who wants to see pictures after I shoot them.
    Ira Summers

Re: Fuji Instax Wide as "scouting"

I use my cell phone and have considered the instead blutooth printer as an accessory for these kinds of things, but decided(this far) against it. It used the Instax Mini film

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    I use my cell phone and have considered the instead blutooth printer as an accessory for these kinds of things, but decided(this far) against it. It used the Instax Mini film
    I've been using my phone and the viewfinder app too, but looking at the phone just isn't the same for me, plus I have to stare at a screen at work all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ira Summers

Fuji had a great answer to this need, it was called FP100C or FP100C45, sadly they've abandoned it. instax is not even close as a substitute, IMNSHO.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Fuji had a great answer to this need, it was called FP100C or FP100C45, sadly they've abandoned it. instax is not even close as a substitute, IMNSHO.
    I don't mean as a Polaroid from the 4x5, I'm taking using the instax wide camera as a scouting tool.

Ira Summers

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Because of the quality of the cameras for it? Or because of the film itself?

If it's the camera, there's a guy converting impossible project instax wide backs for use on the Mamiya Universal Press: http://www.polaroidconversions.com/instax/

Since I am interested in the quality of light happening around me, scouting has never been something I do much of. YMMD.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Since I am interested in the quality of light happening around me, scouting has never been something I do much of. YMMD.
    So you never plan images? Come back when conditions are different, weather, seasons changes, better or different light, etc? Ever walked around somewhere (I don't know about you but I don't always carry my 4x5), saw something and think, that could be a great picture.

Ira Summers

I use a Fujifilm X100s as a scout camera. Expensive just as a scout camera but I use it for family snap shots and Ebay too.

A cell phone makes a lot of sense as a scout camera especially since most people always have it with them. I no longer own one myself. I don't want to be a slave to one! Of course if you prefer to use a Fuji instant camera there is nothing wrong with that. It's not expensive and I'm sure you will use it for other things too.

I use my cell phone and shoot in black and white when scouting... it also acts as an excellent viewing filter.