Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two down one to go . . .

Re: Two down one to go . . .

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    I've handled later MPP's like MkVII & MkVIII's. dim original focus screens and not been impressed, so checking out my MkIII has been a real eye opener. It's an amazing camera, it 's triple extesion 40+cm, loads of front tilt - the bed drops to two positions, plenty of rise/fall, front shift. It's a Linhof in British clothing. This is before restoration.
    Very interesting. I've stumbled on a couple of MPP cameras in antique shops but overpriced so I didn't spend much time looking. I got the idea from somewhere (maybe the MPP enthusiast webpage) that later models were the ones to look for, though I forget why. That Mk III looks great.

By the way, I have noticed the odd mention of some fellows Taylor, Taylor and Hobson... admittedly they sound like a group of undertakers, or possibly fine hat makers but maybe they made some decent stuff back in the day. Some bloke called Cooke has cropped up here a few times on this site too. Possibly our US cousins have no interest in such obscure antiquated British junk and wouldn't mind selling some back at bargain basement prices should they find any

I didn't know MPP were connected to Celestion, very interesting.

Peter, the register of the backs on early MPP MicroTechnicals is non standard 5.08mm (0.200'') instead of the International standard 4.85 -4.90mm. The difference is so small that it's highly unlikely to affect sharpness using standard film holders, however if critical the options are use older MPP film holders of the same register (I'Have plenty) or correct the register which would be very easy.

Most MicroTechnicals pre the MkVII & MkVIII look in poor condition, usually worse than the reality of their overall mechanical condition, this is due to wear or deterioration of the original leather covering, later cameras used synthetic covering. That's certainly the case with this MkIII.

Prices MPP cameras sell for in the UK have risen quite significantly in the past few years, particularly compared to other LF cameras, it's rare to find bargains these days but even 2-3 years ago you could find a complete outfit - camera, 2 or 3 lenses, film holders, all in acase for around £200 ($340).

At £75 this MkIII with a second parts camera was a bargain not to be missed, I could get my money back selling just the parts if I don't decide to rebuild the second camera, which is missing the back. I'll recover the main camera.

I think the MPP MicroTechnical MkIII is a very underrated camera, it's an extremely versatile technical camera on a par with the Linhofs it's derived from.

Ian

multiplex

The camera I'll restore just needs recovering to look good, functionally it's excellent. I needed to touch base here as many of us in the UK recommend MPP MicroTechnical cameras as starter LF cameras without really knowing why, except cheap and easy to find.
    i wish these puppies would stray across the pond, i have only heard of them never seen one. that is a lovely camera !

Luckily I have a 135mm f4.7 Xenar bought on this forum or APUG and it's the main lens the MkIII was sold with. This camera has the sacle for a 135mm but the spare hase one for a 135mm, I may get duplicates engraved.

Ian

It's probable that MPP cameras were never sold in the USA (I'm assuming they weren't) because here you could buy a Graflex or Linhof. Market protection can work both ways, no?

I dug into my archive of old Popular Photography buying guides and in some early 1960's issues found listings for both a Mark VI and a Mark VII Micro-Technical camera, 4X5. And back in 1975 I went to an Ansel Adams workshop at Yosemite. Arnold Newman was one of the instructors, I'm pretty sure he was using an MPP, don't know what "Mark".
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    It's probable that MPP cameras were never sold in the USA (I'm assuming they weren't) because here you could buy a Graflex or Linhof. Market protection can work both ways, no?
    MPP started making cameras at a time of severe import restrictions into the UK, Graflex and Linhof couldn't be imported without a speciaal licence so they had a captive market. They were exported to the US probably only in very small quantities but sold under the importers name - Lloyd. This was common practice Thornton Pickard shutters were sold as Burke & James.

Basil Skinner's MPP book is sketchy about the Lloyd link, cameras do exist though, but then all sources deny the MPP/Graflex link where MPP were essentially selling Speed Graphics as MicroPress cameras somehow getting around the import restrictions. Parts could be imported without a licence. Skinner claims MPP copied the Speed Graphic but having examined a MicroPress it's blatantly ovious many of the parts were made by Graflex themselves.

MPP were quite a small companyand the last MkIII MicroTechnical camera serial number is quite low 2260, mine's 1040.

Ian

Peter, the register of the backs on early MPP MicroTechnicals is non standard 5.08mm (0.200'') instead of the International standard 4.85 -4.90mm. The difference is so small that it's highly unlikely to affect sharpness using standard film holders, however if critical the options are use older MPP film holders of the same register (I'Have plenty) or correct the register which would be very easy.

Most MicroTechnicals pre the MkVII & MkVIII look in poor condition, usually worse than the reality of their overall mechanical condition, this is due to wear or deterioration of the original leather covering, later cameras used synthetic covering. That's certainly the case with this MkIII.

Prices MPP cameras sell for in the UK have risen quite significantly in the past few years, particularly compared to other LF cameras, it's rare to find bargains these days but even 2-3 years ago you could find a complete outfit - camera, 2 or 3 lenses, film holders, all in acase for around £200 ($340).

At £75 this MkIII with a second parts camera was a bargain not to be missed, I could get my money back selling just the parts if I don't decide to rebuild the second camera, which is missing the back. I'll recover the main camera.

I think the MPP MicroTechnical MkIII is a very underrated camera, it's an extremely versatile technical camera on a par with the Linhofs it's derived from.

Ian
    Thanks Ian, this is exactly the sort of information I wanted to know about before thinking about getting an MPP. I have a feeling I have a box with some MPP holders somewhere too...from a job lot of stuff I bought years ago on eBay. It was probably a few years ago that I saw an MPP camera for sale, but the antique seller in question is the sort of fellow who often has something worth looking at, but at prices that are invariably prohibitive.

There's two on eBay at quite reasonable prices, both I think MkVI, however the better one is missing the fitting for the strap and the other needs minor bellows repair, neither has the focus hood something really needed with no fresnel.

I looked and my spare parts body is missing one strap fitting, I do have a spare focus hood though, and a good st of bellows. At the moment I'm thinking of possible restoration though.

Ian

Just to be awkward - I have an MPP press camera

It's awfully Speed Graphic-ish.

Paid a couple of hundred quid for it in a junk, er, antique shop maybe thirty years ago on no knowledge whatsoever. Probably got ripped off, but I don't think it owes me anything...

I only have a couple of gripes: it's *bloody* heavy (the thing is built like a tank) and there's no forward tilt without dropping the base - and the standard lens wants to sit over the bend in the track.

Neil