Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Tripod Head for 4x5 Field Camera

Re: Recommended Tripod Head for 4x5 Field Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I am both. Maybe that rules me out?

The only time I switch out to the ball head is when I am hiking a fair distance and want to save a little weight, but because of spinal problems I don't do that often.
    If it rules you out then I think it rules most of us out!

I'm sorry to hear about your spinal problems, Kirk. I blew out my L1 and L2 disc almost completely out of my vertebrae. My surgeons said it was the worst case they ever saw. When I screw something up I do it proper! Take care of your back because it affects everything.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I like your setup. A question I had when considering options was whether you would ever need left/right tilt for anything other than leveling. It seems up/down tilt is all you would need after leveling.
    It's all I've needed, so far, but then I've got maybe 1% the experience of some of the other posters here. Actually, that might be an overly generous estimate of my experience.

I've got all three types: Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared head, Gitzo low profile pan tilt G1570 head, and a large Sirui ball head. The Manfrotto is a bit bulky and heavy, but I use it the most. The Gitzo is most often used when I'm shooting 5x7 or 8x10, and the ball head only for 4x5 at most. If I can afford the weight and bulk, I go with the 410 geared head...

Jim Sidinger

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    You are going to get every answer possible.

I'll start. I tried ball heads and for LF they just don't work for me. I prefer a three-axis head with large handles. It is far easier to lock into position one axis at a time. I use this one. It's great. Total control. It is not the sexiest technology but it works with great confidence.

Welcome to LF!
    I totally agree with Jac, especially about ball heads. I guess it is an acquired taste. I know some swear by them but I just found that my simple mind did better with a head that allowed me to work with each dimension one-at-a-time.

The head he recommended is fine, but if you are on a budget and want a very good older equivalent for around $40, go to the large auction site and search for "bogen manfrotto 3047". I use the 3047 head for my Ebony 4x5 and highly recommend it. There are several out there now for around that price.

Not the lightest, but they are steady (even in the prairie winds I often work with) & old fashioned strong and nigh unbreakable (believe me I've tried - by accident of course). I also like the quick release feature which works well and is very secure.

When they bind up or slip some when you try to adjust (we have a lot of dust and sand here in the Southwest), they are also easy to dis-assemble and clean.

Finally, it will be inexpensive enough that, if you decide you don't like the 3D head and want to use a ball, you will not be out so much $$.

Best, Jim

Nice set up. I love the RRS photographic tinker-toys.

You would lose the flexibility of using only the panning clamp but Acratech makes a nice light weight pan/tilt head (they call it a panoramic head).

Quote Originally Posted by baro-nite View Post
    More recently I bought a new tripod with matching leveling base, which, no surprise, does this job much better than the ball head did. I've attached the panning clamp directly to the base, and I use monopod head on top of that when I want a lot of tilt (the base of the monopod head is an Arca/Swiss type plate, so it's quick to swap in and out). I really like working with it. A stupidly expensive rig, though. The monopod head is by Hejnar. The other components are RRS.

Attachment 154568

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    Nice set up. I love the RRS photographic tinker-toys.
    That's exactly how I think of them!

Another fan of a tripod without head, just an arca-type clamp attached to a leveling base. I use a Gitzo 1258LVL-- probably about the lightest you'd want to go with my Wisner Tech Field camera. (And I'm sure others here would recommend a step or two up in the Gitzo line.)

Just spotted a bargain on B&H on another option I can also heartily recommend: the wooden Berlebach Report and Report 242 (with center column) are going for $199 each. Even when not on sale, these very sturdy leveling tripods are a very good value, in my opinion. I found my 242 quite comfortable to strap across my back (with an optech strap), and the unusual screw mount really good-- almost as quick to use as a quick-release. (They also claim that wood absorbs vibrations more easily than aluminum and carbon fiber. Probably true, but haven't noticed a difference in my practice.) I also have a Berlebach 2-way spring-loaded head (designed to make it easy to use with a heavy load), but never felt the need to use it.

I'll be a contrarian, not because I represent a ball head company, but because I was drawn to ball heads as viable alternative to 3-way heads, and that started me on the road to distributing FLM.
    I like the compactness, lighter weight and easy pack-ability of the ball head; it was tricky getting one levelled quickly, but that's why I went with FLM, on the recommendation of a forum member.
    The tilt lock feature found on these ball heads is a boon to LF photographers, or anyone who needs quick and easy levelling whilst using a ball head.

Watch this 30-second clip: https://youtu.be/h2z-0Ps008Y?t=1m17s

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    If you have the budget, I recommend the Manfrotto 410. Geared 3-way head, light enough but also solid enough for my applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1

I would like the video and head performace better with a big lens attached and using a film-holder. Your example video needs more example. Not sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'll be a contrarian, not because I represent a ball head company, but because I was drawn to ball heads as viable alternative to 3-way heads, and that started me on the road to distributing FLM.
    I like the compactness, lighter weight and easy pack-ability of the ball head; it was tricky getting one levelled quickly, but that's why I went with FLM, on the recommendation of a forum member.
    The tilt lock feature found on these ball heads is a boon to LF photographers, or anyone who needs quick and easy levelling whilst using a ball head.

Watch this 30-second clip: https://youtu.be/h2z-0Ps008Y?t=1m17s
    Tin Can