Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Misguided KODAK advertising

Vince Donovan

Re: Misguided KODAK advertising

Early in post-bankruptcy, Kodak Inc. made some badly-needed money by licensing its name to products made by other manufacturers. Some of the products in the "summer" advertisement- the batteries and light bulbs and baby monitors and video camera - are licencees. So they are generating $$$ for Kodak without requiring any R&D. I imagine that their licensing agreement requires Kodak to do some promotion on their web site.

Kodak Inc, of course, can't advertise film for still photography on its web page. Nor can they put that stuff on sale. All the rights for marketing and selling film for still photography are owned by Kodak Alaris.

Vince Donovan

What I want to know is when can I get this stuff:
    http://www.kodak.com/ek/us/en/Consum...e/default.htm#

Corporate voodoo.

Is an Edsel not a Ford?

Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    Early in post-bankruptcy, Kodak Inc. made some badly-needed money by licensing its name to products made by other manufacturers. Some of the products in the "summer" advertisement- the batteries and light bulbs and baby monitors and video camera - are licencees. So they are generating $$$ for Kodak without requiring any R&D. I imagine that their licensing agreement requires Kodak to do some promotion on their web site.

Kodak Inc, of course, can't advertise film for still photography on its web page. Nor can they put that stuff on sale. All the rights for marketing and selling film for still photography are owned by Kodak Alaris.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I use a lot of Eneloop to save money and waste, but they are lower voltage and some devices are sensitive to that and require full voltage Duracell.

I tried Costco 'same as Duracell almost' but not even close and they are dangerous.

I found lots of the Costco brand AAA leaking in remotes. I went on a hunt and ended up cleaning many devices of the old 'Leaky Battery Syndrome' that destroyed gear in the past. I guess the Past is still here...

This is not an Anti Costco rant, but watch out for their store brand batteries.
    I have not yet found any brand battery that doesn't leak - Duracell, Energizer, Ray-o-vac. The exception has been the Duracell and Energizer "Industrial" branded batteries. I've been told that these are the same, other than packaging, but for whatever reason I've never had one leak.

As to those Kodak products, no doubt some MBA somewhere figured out that emails are essentially free. So why not send to you. Of course, they didn't connect the dots and understand that there are different markets.

Remember Polaroid? The brand name of this once great company was purchased by Tom Peters and slapped on whatever product they could import cheap. Kodak is doing that to itself.

As many big companies they don't know what they are doing most of the time just the wrong thing!

Drew Wiley

I just threw out a couple of gadgets due to leaking Duracell batteries, only about a year old. One problem the general public is unaware of, is that up to a third of
    these brand-name batteries are counterfeit. You can't spot them because they get mixed in with the real deal prior to shipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I just threw out a couple of gadgets due to leaking Duracell batteries, only about a year old. One problem the general public is unaware of, is that up to a third of
    these brand-name batteries are counterfeit. You can't spot them because they get mixed in with the real deal prior to shipment.
    Kirkland and Duracell AA are terrible these things weld themselves into Maglites. I will never use them again, leak on discharge etc.

Kodak licenses it's name to the highest bidder. Just like Polaroid, they don't have much to do with any of this stuff.

I would be amazed if Eastman Kodak Co. distributes any of this junk, they just get a nickle on the dollar

"Sourced Product" is a different story. It's is like Nikon having Cosina make cameras. It is distributed by Nikon. They are still junk but it's different :-)

I just pray that somehow Kodak can keep making the film products for Alaris that is currently being offered. AND that Ilford can keep making paper and film. I'm also praying for Fuji and Ferrania but that will be a miracle.

On the bright side today I inherited a bunch of old cans and bottles of Kodak chemicals and sundries. FULL 1 qt glass bottle of Rapid Se. toner . Cans of developers etc Happy, Happy Joy
    Best Mike

Randy, if your grandchildren are teenagers, then your son/daughter needs a monitor for sure.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

What do you mean?

Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    Randy, if your grandchildren are teenagers, then your son/daughter needs a monitor for sure.
    Tin Can

2 Bit Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I have several high dollar guitars with powered pickups. I don't use them on the acoustics. I take the batteries out and remove the holders to keep anyone from loaning new ones. I have a high dollar tuner that now only operates on AC power adaptor thanks to leaky batteries. I have taken the batteries out of all my camera gear.