Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Monolights: Profoto or Einstein?

Re: Monolights: Profoto or Einstein?

I expressed myself inadequately.
    The Einsteins can go down to something like 2.5 w/s which is handy if you want shoot at f1.2 and 12,500 ISO (just an extreme example).
    That was my point.
    Of course a flash is a flash and 600 w/s is the same across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I expressed myself inadequately.
    The Einsteins can go down to something like 2.5 w/s which is handy if you want shoot at f1.2 and 12,500 ISO (just an extreme example).
    That was my point.
    Of course a flash is a flash and 600 w/s is the same across the board.
    No, 600ws is not the same across the board. WS are a measure of the capacitors storage capacity, also called Joules. It is not the output of the flash. That is determined by the energy stored, the length and diameter of the wires between the caps and the tube. The number of connections between the caps and the tubes, the angle of illumination of the reflectors, the tube itself. So the most obvious example is the f stop attained at, say 10' with a 45° reflector, a bare bulb, an umbrella reflector and a snoot. All at 600 WSand all fired after the unit is 100% of charge, many ready lights come on at 80% not at 100%. A WS can not be translated into an f stop or a guide number as you have to know the loading on the caps to work the formula and no manufacturer declares that figure.
    To know the output you can use ECPSor BCPS which are commonly used output figures or use a good flash meter.
    WS or Joules is as accurate as horsepower in determining 0 to 60 times with a car, or mileage figures. WS is simply a marketing figure.

Noted, thank you Bob.

Glad you found a good solution, Ari-- can't really go wrong with the Profoto stuff, especially if the cost is the same as the Paul Buff equivalent. Track record aside, availability of accessories for rent is an excellent selling point, especially if you travel.

Just to add to the conversation for anyone considering this in the future, however: the Einstein 640 is a BIG improvement over the Alien Bees B800 in terms of quality of light, with very consistent color. I've used lower end Profoto pack-and-head systems in studios, and I don't find I'm missing anything in terms of quality of light with the Einstein. (Might actually measure differently, of course-- my standards are much lower than those of, say, a product photographer.)

What I most love about the Einstein, however, is how LOW they can be set. I find that I often do want to be able to use power settings under 10 w/s-- I mostly work on location, and low power is very useful in balancing the flash against daylight. This is the main reason that I prefer them to the Alien Bees and even many of the fancier brands. Looks like the new Profoto monolights match this low power capability.

My only real complaint about Einsteins is the interface-- hate having to beep through EVERY menu item (and the info screen) just to adjust the power or modelling light setting. If I could change one thing, it would be to add a (quiet) dial to control the power directly.

Thank you, Mr Harvey; I haven't received the Profoto monolights yet, but having worked with them before, I'm sure I'll be happy with them.
    My local camera store rents Profoto lights and modifiers, so if I'm in need of anything and don't want to buy, that's an option.
    I'm glad you pointed out a simple, but important, feature of the PCBs that annoys you; those things can make a huge difference to some people (me). I much prefer dials.
    I rented another Elinchrom today, and don't think I could use them long-term; the interface is ok, the way of attaching modifiers is annoying, and I can't get a Skyport to work on any of my cameras.

The low power of the Einsteins is a great feature, not an important one for my uses, but there are lots of times I could see it being a gift to have.
    Same goes for ultra-short flash bursts, I don't really need them, nor do I worry about recycle times, as long as they're under 2s or so.

I'll have to add my 2 cents as I'm a bit pissed off.

I received my Einstein this week and there's a small tweak that I instantly noticed.

On their website the back of the strobe says "Made in USA"...

The strobe I received has a cute "Designed in the USA"

Perhaps I'm showing my xenophobic , protectionist side but I grew up in a labor union family and this crap continues to piss me off. You pay the same price, they outsource, and pad their profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    I'll have to add my 2 cents as I'm a bit pissed off.

I received my Einstein this week and there's a small tweak that I instantly noticed.

On their website the back of the strobe says "Made in USA"...

The strobe I received has a cute "Designed in the USA"

Perhaps I'm showing my xenophobic , protectionist side but I grew up in a labor union family and this crap continues to piss me off. You pay the same price, they outsource, and pad their profit.

OTOH, it's entirely possible that you aren't paying the same price for foreign vs domestic production. If their choice was offshore or raise the price to $750, heck, probably even if the increase were only to $550, their customers would have abandoned them in droves had they raised the price. Almost everyone is highly price sensitive. Very few people actually refuse to buy a product because of country of origin.

Would you prefer the profit stay in the US (Einstein) or the profit stay in China (Youngnuo, etc that people would have bought instead of the Einstein) even if the manufacturing isn't here too?

Good points.

I have 4 Einsteins and like them.

I will be buying more.

I hope PCB can thrive despite the recent death of founder and namesake, Paul C Buff. A real character, inovator and nice guy. He is missed.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    OTOH, it's entirely possible that you aren't paying the same price for foreign vs domestic production. If their choice was offshore or raise the price to $750, heck, probably even if the increase were only to $550, their customers would have abandoned them in droves had they raised the price. Almost everyone is highly price sensitive. Very few people actually refuse to buy a product because of country of origin.

Would you prefer the profit stay in the US (Einstein) or the profit stay in China (Youngnuo, etc that people would have bought instead of the Einstein) even if the manufacturing isn't here too?
    I'm in the minority, I know that... it's why I pay 350 bucks for red wings when I can some crap at sears for 80 bucks.

I definitely make decisions based on quality AND origin, the quality taking the cake.

But again, guess I'm in the minority.

No u are not.
    Tin Can