Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: LFPF censorship and moderation

Re: LFPF censorship and moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    This thread has become one that is dissolving into a good old flame war. I hope Richard finds his footing and follows his passion but if I were him, I would ask that this thread be closed as nothing good will come from it and all that can be said has been said.
    Oh for sure I will continue the project. No, I would not want this thread be closed.

It's good to see the true colors of some people.

8thsamurai

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The thread was on watch from the start; based on experience we figured a high likelihood that it would go south. When it did, we were faced with a delete-vs-close judgment call. My judgment was that the thread would be a source of recurrent trouble. That's a debatable call. But following up on the point I made to Bryan, if the topic is so inflammatory and so sensitive that a thread closure, well-judged or not, is taken as presumptive evidence of bigotry and elicits a torrent of nasty ad hominem attacks, we might indeed be well advised to steer clear of it.
    Or could it be that censoring such a thread for extremely thin reasons and then comparing the subject matter to literal human garbage like nazis and ISIS elicits well deserved criticism? If you don't want people to presume you are a bigot maybe try not acting like one.

Quote Originally Posted by 8thsamurai View Post
    Or could it be that censoring such a thread for extremely thin reasons and then comparing the subject matter to literal human garbage like nazis and ISIS elicits well deserved criticism? If you don't want people to presume you are a bigot maybe try not acting like one.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The thread was on watch from the start; based on experience we figured a high likelihood that it would go south. When it did, we were faced with a delete-vs-close judgment call. My judgment was that the thread would be a source of recurrent trouble. That's a debatable call. But following up on the point I made to Bryan, if the topic is so inflammatory and so sensitive that a thread closure, well-judged or not, is taken as presumptive evidence of bigotry and elicits a torrent of nasty ad hominem attacks, we might indeed be well advised to steer clear of it.
    Oren, you still misunderstand me. I don't accuse you of bigotry; however, your actions have abetted the bigots. Perhaps you might have considered that in your delete-vs-close judgement call. If you don't mind that, well, that only deepens my disappointment in the moderation of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 8thsamurai View Post
    8thsamurai's post may be hyperbolic, but he has a point. The stated reasons for closing the thread and not others might be a little bit more believable if transgender people hadn't been compared BY A MODERATOR to Nazis, white supremacists, and terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Last week I had a thread closed talking about the increasing dust in the American West. I plucked it out of a thread I started on dealing with dust when drying film. I knew it would lead to talk about global warming and I knew it would be quickly shut down. And it was. Asi es la vida aqui. I don't know of a more important discussion about the future and frankly about the future of photography. But that discussion will not happen here.
    Interesting that someone would shut it down. The topic is not political but one of science. Moderators could delete political posts if they want but shutting down a topic just because it gets posts and disagreements is not a good thing.

No wonder the old posters like Jorge and Steve Simmons and such don't take part here any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker
    As a side note, this position also precludes other, similarly-presented projects, such as portraits of members of the American Nazi Party, members of the KKK, or portraits of ISIS members showing their handywork.
    Quite spectacularly insensitive ...

I can overlook comments from other members easily enough, not however comments made by a moderator like the one from Ralph.
    Please can someone tell me how to remove my membership here? I can't find a place to delete it.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by lecarp View Post
    Please can someone tell me how to remove my membership here? I can't find a place to delete it.
    My understanding is that all one needs to do is log off and not log back in. Too bad you feel that way, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Interesting that someone would shut it down. The topic is not political but one of science. Moderators could delete political posts if they want but shutting down a topic just because it gets posts and disagreements is not a good thing.

No wonder the old posters like Jorge and Steve Simmons and such don't take part here any longer.
    The topic is science AND extremely political. Dude. Where have you been?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Last week I had a thread closed talking about the increasing dust in the American West. I plucked it out of a thread I started on dealing with dust when drying film. I knew it would lead to talk about global warming and I knew it would be quickly shut down. And it was. Asi es la vida aqui. I don't know of a more important discussion about the future and frankly about the future of photography. But that discussion will not happen here.
    Yes, that was just wrong. IMHO, it is important to our constituency to know how our fellow photographers live and cope with resources. I lived in the High Plains Desert of New Mexico where water was our major expense. The water we paid for was piped right through of us to Southern California at a penny to the dollar for them.

Best of luck to you, Kirk.