Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: LFPF censorship and moderation

Re: LFPF censorship and moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    With nothing more to offer than a different opinion, you fall back on ad hominem.

OK, that's enough for me. Let our apparently masochistic moderators be the ones to continue dealing with these attacks. I cannot fathom why they volunteer for such abuse.
    The only one who has been truly abused on here is Richard.

It's telling when you don't respond to two fresh posters refuting your "opinion" which put words in their mouth. But, moving on:

It seems the moderators have circled the wagon here. I thought it at least possible that an admission of slight overreach could happen, with a concurrent deletion of any overtly political posts and reinstatement of the thread (as well as allowing the project images and non-political life stories to be posted). But I guess that's not happening.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

8thsamurai

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I cannot fathom why ...
    This is probably due to the previously mentioned appalling denseness and lack of faculty for making logical assumptions. Maybe another 18 years of intense study of the posting daily habits of this forum will help you out, see you in 2034 Sal.

I think that moderation deserves a respect.

One can think that a mistake is there or that things could be done in an other way, but moderation is necessary.

The important thing it is not if it is perfect or not, but that it works.

There is no reason to get angry because this. Moderation has a lot of tolerance with us a lot of times, we also have to tolerate some possible mistakes, and perhaps those are not mistakes, it depends on interpretation.

Somebody has the role to interpret the rules, let's him do it. Let's argue our opinion, but let me repeat it: moderation deserves a respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I think that moderation deserves a respect.

One can think that a mistake is there or that things could be done in an other way, but moderation is necessary.

The important thing it is not if it is perfect or not, but that it works.

There is no reason to get angry becfause this. Moderation has a lot of tolerance with us a lot of times, we also have to tolerate some possible mistakes, it is a hard job.
    Making mistakes is natural. Doubling down on them is stubbornness.

Quote Originally Posted by RHITMrB View Post
    Making mistakes is natural. Doubling down on them is stubbornness.

It is not about stubbornness, a consistent criterion is there to interpret rules.

If you don't like that criterion you have a choice: in Site Forums / Feedback you can open a thread about a moderation rule and to discuss it there.

For sure that if enough users agree moderation has to end considering it.

This forum is about materials and methods, not about art. This is about sharing knowledge and discussing that. For the rest there is the Lounge. That's very clear.

I undesrtand that posting portrais here (Lounge excluded) it is not about art, it's about showing technical LF results, or techno-artistic LF results.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    This forum is about materials and methods, not about art.
    Then why do the image sharing subforums exist? Even if the forum were truly solely about "techno-artistic LF results" we're discussing a case in which the words affect the viewer's relationship to or assessment of the results.

edit: you forgot another option people have: don't contribute to forums where the moderation is arbitrary and capricious.

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Dear Kent, I daresay your comments show why this project is needed. Thank you for proving its necessity.
    Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Every photography project has an "agenda", that's usually part of the so called Artist Statement.

When a label is applied to a person, naturally we would have ASSUMPTIONS about that person. For example, I am Chinese-American, immigrated from Hong Kong. If someone sees me, a good number of the people would immediately form some kind of opinions about me just from their fact. (or if I am labelled "large format photographer", no doubt that may form an image to some people as well etc.)

I am currently doing three portrait projects. The first one is about costumers/cosplayers, and aims to show that these people are just like anyone else, they are just very dedicated to their craft. Yes, some of them spend THOUSANDS of hours on a particular project etc. but in the end, they are just human being.

This project is about Transgender people. Another group with a label, and Kent is correct that a currently politically "hot-topic" label at that. They are a minority, but minorities have rights too. The Chinese Exclusions were written specifically for a minority group. Heck, 50 years ago, a Chinese person could not buy the house I am living in now, because of the community covenant. The entire group of Japanese American were treated like potential enemy of the state, etc. I can go on.

The lesson from the gay and lesbian community is that when people realize that "these people" are their neighbors, their friends, even their relatives, that's when acceptance begin. Transgender people are a minority, but they are here, they are there, they are us.

Finally, as other people observed, those are not "my writing", but their words. If the words have meaning to you, that's because of their personal stories.

Thank you.
    As soon as the above cited comments were stated...
    The OP crossed 'The Thin Red Line' -- With his hidden "Agenda".

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    And Richard, your comment shows why this thread needs to be closed. This is not the place for debating social change agendas.
    Correct.

+1 for 'Moderator Intervention'...
    Before the Thread escalated any further. Thank-you!

Quote Originally Posted by RHITMrB View Post
    Then why do the image sharing subforums exist? Even if the forum were truly solely about "techno-artistic LF results" we're discussing a case in which the words affect the viewer's relationship to or assessment of the results.
    The forum title it says:

Forum: Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion
    Post your own large-format images (based on 4"x5" or larger format) for sharing and discussion. Critiques should only be offered if requested by the original poster.

Techno-artistic it is not "poetry-artistic".

DOF, Bokeh, Contrast, microcontrast and Lp/mm are techno-artistic discussion, the story behind the subject is "poetry-artistic", and this is for the Lounge.

Personally, for me, that "poetry" is nice and I like it...

To me it is clear. Anyway if some people think that explaining the subject history is good then it may be debated...

8thsamurai

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    As soon as the following comments were stated...

The OP crossed 'The Thin Red Line' -- With his hidden "Agenda".
    His "hidden agenda" that minorities are people, congrats you caught him.