Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: SP-445 4x5 Film Processing System (Daylight tank)

Re: SP-445 4x5 Film Processing System (Daylight tank)

How hot?
    As in should I be careful about leaving this in my car...

Quote Originally Posted by tim48v View Post
    Bob,
    Make sure your film holders are "flat", we've heard of one other user that had a slightly curved film holder that could cause the film to be pressed against the holder. If so, it's pretty easy to just warm up the film holder in hot water (not boiling!) and straighten it with your fingers.

BTW, we've processed other films with a coating on the back with no problem.

Let us know what you find.

Tim
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Thanks for a great product!!!

Just used mine for the first time and ran 16 sheets of FP4 and Delta 100 in batches of 4. Loading the film was easy once I figured out to lay down the original film holder and hold the ssp-445 holder. I also leaned the SSP holder against a box while getting the next sheet film holder so it did not accumulate any dust from the work surface. Its kind of an odd dance in the dark to find all holders and parts. I may put a small stripe of luminous paint/tape on the tank to find it easier.
    The squeeze trick prevented the leaking which is a big improvement over sloshing my old tanks. These also fill and dump much more rapidly.
    I do not have the sticking or streaking issues, I used photo-flow in final wash. Clean up was a breeze.

Uses for my old square tank:
    I ran out of hangers so after the first 8 mostly dried I put them in my old tank slots and will let them dry overnight. It should keep the dust out too.
    If I were in a hurry I could use the old tank to wash while I run another batch through the SP-445.

I may put a small stripe of luminous paint/tape on the tank to find it easier.
    Careful, as this may fog the film if you hold it close enough to the paint/tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Here's a new video the makers posted. Note the suggestion to squeeze the tank a little while capping to get a better seal. Not sure if that is necessary or not. Anyhow I'm looking forward to trying it out as soon as mine arrives. Should be any day now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTrtU0bhArQ
    Looks like a great system.

Mine arrived last week. I'm a Scotsman so having to pay Customs Duty - 20% VAT plus a Royal Mail handling fee of £8 - took the edge off it but even then, only slightly. After several years of jamming 4x5s sideways into a 120 roll film tank and hoping for the best, this is definitely the mutt's n*ts (or dug's bo**ocks as we say here).
    Can't think of a single problem. Didn't squeeze anything and it did not leak even a drop.
    F.A.B. - end of.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. - Yousuf Karsh.

Thanks for the compliments!
    I guess Churchill was right: "two great nations divided by a common language..."

Reminds me of the time I asked my buddy from England what he was doing on the weekend; he replied "I'm going to knock up Susan and go mountain biking." I replied that I sure hope that means something different in England than it does here. (It does: stop by her place vs get her pregnant.)

It was a great story to tell at their wedding a year later.

charles46277

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    Just received one and ran a few sheets through it. I used Diafine as that is my quick developer for small runs, the tank worked fine. Sheet holders loaded easily and the tank did not leak. However, three of the four sheets I developed did have lines/marks on the back from the ridges on the film holder. I may need to look into how I do the wash cycle, perhaps remove the film from the holders and wash using stainless holders in a dip tank?

This is a small section, the vertical lines are a match for the ridges on the film holder. I am going to do a rewashing later today to see if that will remove them.

Attachment 154281
    [/B] I have also just got one and have done two batches--both fine. I do a one minute soak in water first--I wonder if that would help prevent streaks from behind? I used Rodinal 1:50 and maybe the longer, gentler developing is less likely to streak?

I've addressed part of this in our latest blog: https://shop.stearmanpress.com/blogs...r-film-holders

Which film? Most reports involve Ilford and presoaking (BTW, Ilford recommends against presoaking.)

Looks like a neat system. Thinking I should take the plunge.

I'm thinking so too!