Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why a darkroom?

Why a darkroom?

Why do people who make photocopies call them names other than what they are? I make selenium toned silver, platinum and or palladium prints in my darkroom. All those names as well as carbon, sepia etc. are used by the photocopiers to make their work seem more valuable. If you make computerized photocopies be proud of it. Call it what they are. If your are embarresed because you make photocopies that's your problem.

Oh, and stop defining "Archival" downward. If that new ink you use now has a display life of 13 months it's not "archival".

Scott Davis

Why a darkroom?

Bill said,

It's "low-tech" because someone else is doing all the HighTech stuff for you. If you had to grind your silver and combine it with a halide then boil down your cattle horns to make gelatin, and coat it onto a plate glass which you made from sand, then develop it in chemicals which you had to make from dirt and rocks...then it would be high tech. "Low Tech" it is, you lazy slob. Oh yeah, I forgot the cutting down trees and pounding the pulp to make paper to print on. Jeez, we never had it so good.

Bill, actually, what that would make you is Martha Stewart, not low-tech.

The reason some of us still use darkrooms is to practice and participate in a manual, labor-intensive handcraft. The same reason why my father, a board-certified physician, went out and took a masonry class, and enjoys home-improvement projects. There is something incredibly relaxing and comforting in knowing that you were entirely responsible for the creation of an image, from initial visualization through exposure, development, printing, matting and framing. I really enjoy all those hours spent doing that, because each time I do it, I learn better how to do the next one, and it is something I can't run out of enthusiasm for. Unlike playing a video game, or using a Photoshop filter.

Why a darkroom?

why do photographers use darkrooms??

Film is just fussy that way.

David Vickery

Why a darkroom?

"why do photographers use darkrooms??"

In what other type of "room" could we do what we do, Ted????

Or perhaps Ted is trying to elevate the status of those of us who still use darkrooms to that of Craftsmen or Craftswomen (or if you are really good "Artist"). And, is implying that the digital crap is good enough to handle all of the traditional, commercially oriented photography work. Which means that his question is really a criticism of those of us who still call ourselves photographers, which tends to separate "us" from the rest of the Art world.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Why a darkroom?

I always wanted to write a book on photo techniques just because I have the perfect title for it... "The Illuminated Darkroom."
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Why a darkroom?

It's not so much as question of keeping the light out as keeping the dark in.

Ask a silly question ...

Why a darkroom?

Accounting pays the bills and enables me to pursue my hobby of photography. Sitting in front of a computer 10 hours a day number crunching can be stressful to say the least. The last thing I want to do is go home and sit in front of a computer to print a photograph. Turning on the cd player and printing in the darkroom certainly destresses and relaxes me. To paraphrase the Robert Duval quote from the movie Apocalypse Now, " There is nothing better than the smell of fixer at night". There is only one other thing that is more relaxing than printing in a darkroom but I will keep my thread rated " G ". Cheers, may the light, or in this case, the dark be with you.

Why a darkroom?

Ted,

Because its really really really cool.

Besides being quiet(I've noticed how my 'puter sounds a lot like the 1950's x-ray machine they used at the hospital in Yosemite Valley) unless I want some music, it allows me to see my prints appear magically in a tray under a safe light. I can dodge and burn ghostly images under an enlarger...man, its fun!!! No one in my family understands what the heck I'm doing and besides they're all asleep(I work late at night since my darkroom is light leaky) call it my Inner Sanctum, I guess. I've been using a poor man's Jobo(Unicolor) for developing sheet film so the only tedious part of dark room work for me(souping panchro in total darkness) is a non issue. I still like the idea of souping ortho(arista APHS) under a red light though! Of course, I enjoy tying my own flies, growing my own tomatos, shoeing my own mules, reading great books rather than books about parts of great books, and shifting my own transmission too. Maybe I'm just "wired" that way.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Why a darkroom?

Well, I use my darkroom because I spent a lot of money building my retirement home and I gave the contractor about $6k extra to build a darkroom to my specs. I've never had a real full time darkroom before and I enjoy using it. It's an investment, so I use it.

If I did not have complete and exclusive use of a decent darkroom, I'd probably still be

trying to figure out how I could get ink jet prints that looked like well done B&W prints!

Gene

Why a darkroom?

...I like the smells.