Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: View Camera has ceased publication

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: View Camera has ceased publication

I wish I had known that folks were interested in old back issues. A year or so ago I sent many years worth to the recycler.

Fahrenheit 451
    Tin Can

Jim Sidinger

Quote Originally Posted by Toulcaz31 View Post
    Hope some realized here that this gentleman took people's money, delivered nothing, ignored emails, ignored voice mails, ignored Facebook messages, but has apparently no issue in organizing workshops or other businesses on the side...
    The fact that he has not returned the money that subscribers sent him was not totally surprising. I do not know the circumstances under which he 'went under', but he may be in debt due to publishing expenses which he could not see his way out of and so, decided to quit while he was behind. Based on my impressions (gained between here at the Forum and through personal acquaintances) subscriptions were probably falling off so revenue was decreasing but the fixed costs of creating an issue were still there. Sad indeed, but...

To not apologize to his subscribers to whom he owed $$, to not explain to his subscribers who counted on him to provide information and assistance through his publication, to not communicate with any of his subscribers in any way other than say "so long and thanks for all the fish": well, IMHO, that is inexcusable. To also carry on with the workshops he taught in conjunction with the magazine - as if nothing has happened - just shows that either he is either so embarrassed that he does not know what to say to people or he is totally tone deaf and callus to ethical considerations.

Again, things happen; businesses fail for many reasons and we don't know the circumstances of this one; but how you comport yourself under those circumstances says a lot of what kind of person you are.

View Camera publication enabled far to many cons in our industry to keep ripping people off for years. Steve knew of the fraud, but continued to let them advertise due to greed and being a swindler himself. I for one was glad to receive the news of the fall. What's Steve to do when someone he owes money shows up at one of his work shops?

Quote Originally Posted by valdormar View Post
    knew of the fraud... and being a swindler himself.
    Whoa, pretty strong strong words! Got proof?
    Be careful, Karma is a bitch.

Refund or not, I received far more than what I paid for subscribing to View Camera for over 25 years.

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Nobody and nothing is perfect, but View Camera was a great resource during it's run. I still refer to my collection of back issues and, of course Using The View Camera
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Nobody and nothing is perfect, but View Camera was a great resource during it's run. I still refer to my collection of back issues and, of course Using The View Camera
    Amen, John. I had just renewed when Steve folded, but have no hard feelings. Besides the great issues and his book, he also volunteered to help me and others in our travails with Cochran, and did so.

Twenty years ago, View Camera was the only magazine dedicated to LF photography. B&W offered a few LF portfolios every so often and once a year Shutterbug would feature an issue rich with technical articles on large format (remember Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz?) But every other month View Camera came out full of interesting articles (especially interesting to me were reviews of old gear, which was all I could afford) and downright inspirational portfolios from incredibly talented photographers. I let my subscription lapse when the content ran out of steam in more recent times and I elected to spend my subscription $$ buying more film instead.

Still, View Camera was a worthy magazine in it's day, in my opinion anyway
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Twenty years ago, View Camera was the only magazine dedicated to LF photography. B&W offered a few LF portfolios every so often and once a year Shutterbug would feature an issue rich with technical articles on large format (remember Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz?) But every other month View Camera came out full of interesting articles (especially interesting to me were reviews of old gear, which was all I could afford) and downright inspirational portfolios from incredibly talented photographers. I let my subscription lapse when the content ran out of steam in more recent times and I elected to spend my subscription $$ buying more film instead.

Still, View Camera was a worthy magazine in it's day, in my opinion anyway
    I share your opinion, John. I was an early subscriber. Through the decades, acknowledging its flaws, I respected Steve's efforts in providing a great resource to the large format community. View Camera magazine was unique in that pursuit.

Historically, much has been said on this forum regarding this magazine. If I could pick one word to express the range of sentiment it would be ambivalent. I believe it was an ambivalence borne from caring.