Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Wooden Tripod

Re: Favorite Wooden Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Rory_5244 View Post
    I use the Ries J100 tripod with a heavy 8x10. I guess the J100-2 or A100 would be better suited but I can't afford one of those right now.
    I use the J100 on the V5 n the A100 on the V8. Just bought a J100-2 which I've owned before. Doubt I'll get rid of my other two. Every time I sell some thing I regret it!

Lol! Same with me!

Started with Zone VI style surveyor tripod. Hated it, still have it in the basement. Didn't like that every time I moved, the legs would drop and that leg spread was controlled (for the most part) by a cord.

Then got a Berlebach back when Eight Elm (in Toronto) was still one of the go to stores for serious photographers who liked to hang around to talk shop with the staff. Liked the ball head mount but didn't like that the leg spread was set by the stops. I guess one could go in between locks and just tighten the bolts to keep it set.

Then I discovered Ries tripods and haven't looked back, when it comes to wooden tripods. Thing is solid and I love that I can set the legs at whatever angle suits where I'm set up. Tighten down the knobs and she ain't moving. Wanna move over a bit, pick it up and the legs don't flop down. Have the A legs and double head for 8x10 and 7x17 and the J legs and double head for some 8x10 work and 4x5.

The fit and finish on the Ries is excellent as are the Berlebachs but I liked the weight of my Ries tripods and the simplicity of setting it up.

Obviously preference is a very subjective thing and others may hate the features that I love about my Ries tripods
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Then got a Berlebach back when Eight Elm (in Toronto) was still one of the go to stores for serious photographers who liked to hang around to talk shop with the staff. Liked the ball head mount but didn't like that the leg spread was set by the stops. I guess one could go in between locks and just tighten the bolts to keep it set.

Then I discovered Ries tripods and haven't looked back, when it comes to wooden tripods. Thing is solid and I love that I can set the legs at whatever angle suits where I'm set up. Tighten down the knobs and she ain't moving. Wanna move over a bit, pick it up and the legs don't flop down. Have the A legs and double head for 8x10 and 7x17 and the J legs and double head for some 8x10 work and 4x5.

This was my experience also - I have owned both Berlebach and Ries Tripods. I believe Ries is worth the extra money -

I notice that I have to tighten the leg locks VERY tightly on the J100 to prevent the legs from suddenly splaying outward when the tripod is very low to the ground with the weight of the 8x10. Anybody notice that with the bigger A100? The Gitzo CF tripods don't have this problem, but don't have the facility of unlimited leg angles, of course.

Same with the A100 and the plastic knobs for the leg locks kill my hands when I tighten them. I have to wear gloves.

Oh, okay, thanks, Jeffrey. I've had a couple close calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post

This was my experience also - I have owned both Berlebach and Ries Tripods. I believe Ries is worth the extra money -
    Bob, there are two different series of Berlebach tripods, the smaller Report series and the much larger UNI series. Each series's are available with or without leg stops. And the ones with leg stops have a setting for continuous leg spread. Each series also has hooks for leg spread chains to control the leg spread that way, if desired and each series also offer trays that attach onto those hooks.

Just saying Berlebach does not tell us what type of Berlebach you had. And, the leg spread locks for the past 4 years have 5 stops rather then the lesser number on older models.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post

Just saying Berlebach does not tell us what type of Berlebach you had. And, the leg spread locks for the past 4 years have 5 stops rather then the lesser number on older models.
    Well that's a big improvement over the old Report I had. If I remember right there were three settings. Two stops and a free setting to set the legs as you wanted but without the stops. I mostly used the free setting because how I wanted the legs spread usually didn't correspond to the stop settings. An extra 3 stops would have been really nice and quick to set up.

Drew Wiley

I have very few maintenance issues with either my J or larger Ries. I rinse them off after each outing, esp if beach salt air or sand was involved. Lube the leg articulation elements once in awhile, maybe a tiny bit of super-fine wet/dry sandpaper polishing if corrosion is present. I never need to overtighten the knobs, even though these tripods have gone through hell and back.