Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebony RW45

Ebony RW45

Hi Again,

I have heeded much of your thoughtfully conflicting advise on cameras and have continued my search beyond the Wisners and Canham. I don't think I'm willing to risk the extended wait of a Wisner, and I really think the Canham is not right for me right now. One camera that kept coming up was the Ebony RW45. I wonder what yall's experience is with this camera. I've read in the archives that it can be a little tough to do wide angle; I see some don't have problems with a 65mm; has anyone shot a 58mm with a recessed board? I already know to get the universal bellows since it is not exchangeable. I also wonder if the makers are responsive to repairs and offer quick turnaround times. Are there shortcomings I'm not thinking about that I should know about?

I know it has independent locks, bright ground glass, rigid body, adequate movements, it's light and compact, and I've read that it's fairly easy to use, even with gloves on. Is there any way to go wrong with this one? I know it's subjective, and I appreciate conflicting perspectives, so let me have it.

Unfortunately, Austin does not have a camera store that regularly stocks LF (sad but true). If they have anything at all, it's usually a used monorail, so that makes it difficult to go test them out to see what I like, and that makes your comments (yes, You) even more valuable.

Thanks again,

Ebony RW45

Hey, Laura

I just purchased an RW45 within the last couple of months to replace a Tachihara. I wanted a little more bellows extension than the Tachi and a Grafloc (sp?) back. So far I have no complaints. I certainly appreciate the build quality and once I got used to it, I find unfolding and folding to be more precise and quicker than the Tachihara.

I don't think you can wrong with it -- the exception is the 58mm with the recessed board. Don't know the answer to that one.

Really my only complaint is that to use my 75mm Grandagon N, I have to go through a cumbersome tilt procedure, but that's becoming easier as I do it more often.

Good Luck!

Larry
    Larry Mendenhall
    www.quiet-places.com

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Ebony RW45

Laura, that's a great camera. I love mine. The wide angle setup is not cumbersome at all. In about 20 seconds you can re-adjust the tilts and get the focus you want. It all depends on how comfortable one is with mechanical equipment.

Octogenarian

Ebony RW45

Hi to you again, Laura Lea,

You certainly are on the right track. The Ebony RW45 is their entry level camera, and a good buy in the $1500 price range. The camera takes Linhof Tech- style lensboards. The recessed ones are relatively expensive and not easy to use. The widest lens that is practical to use on a flat lensboard with the RW45 is a 65, and a lens of that short of a focal length would be a tight squeeze, even with the universal bellows. Ebony makes other models of their cameras that are designed specifically to be used with short focal length wide angle lenses. However, they do not fold and are quite a bit more expensive.

There is much valuable information on the Ebony website (www.ebonycamera.com) regarding the use of wide angle lenses.

Have you contacted Jim, at Midwest Photo Exchange? He handles all models of the Ebony cameras, as well as the Tachihara and Shen Hao cameras, both new and previously owned. He is in the store on Saturdays, from 10AM till 2PM, eastern time. A call to Jim (and only Jim) would be well worth your time and effort . Midwest does not always list their full inventory on their website. Tell Jim that you were referred by this forum.

Ebony RW45

Jeffrey,
    What's the widest lens you can use on it with and without a recessed board? I've heard conflicting info about the 65mm- some say you can use it with a regular board others say recessed is a must. What's your experience? Is 65mm as wide as you can go?

Ebony RW45

Eugene,
    Yes, I actually talked to Jim right before I posted the original message. He gave me good information and said he can whole-heartedly recommend the Ebony for what I'm looking for. I wanted to get the opinions of others who have also used the camera and can offer additional info. Have you shot this camera? What's your impression of it?

Ebony RW45

Hi Laura,

It’s a solid performer but it is wood and that means it is less precise than a metal camera in terms of its movements and locking down. I am probably one of the very few folk here who are not in love with the camera. Several reasons, first, as noted above I think that I just prefer metal cameras. Second, while the ‘wide angle adjustment’ you need to make to work with a 75mm lens is not terribly time consuming it is still a pain. During the 2 week shakedown I ran around 100-150 sheets of film through the camera and a lot of that was wide angle shooting. It was ok but I was less than overjoyed with the way the camera responded with the 75mm f5.6 Super Angulon. I suspect a 65mm lens would become very very difficult to use and I really don’t see how you could use a 58 (certainly not get any movement) even with a recessed lensboard ... assuming you can use same. Third, there is a design issue, IMO, in the way the front standard swings into place when you first open and setup the camera, it can be rather finicky. Fourth, the camera is very well assembled but O didn’t find the finish to be as good as a Canham or Lotus or Gandolfi but it was on a par with a lot of Wisner’s I have seen. Some of the cameras also have issues with marks on the titanium, not anything that affects performance but it could have an impact on resale value. I know the factory is working with these issues but they are swamped with orders as Ebony seems to be the current LF ‘in’ camera. Buy from one of the reliable dealers you see mentioned here all the time (Jim at Midwest or Jeff at Badger) and you will avoid any heartache.

On the plus side the camera excels at handling longer and heavier lenses. I used it in fairly heavy winds with a 300 and a 360 and had no problems at all. Alos used it in reasonably cold weather and no problems. However, if you want th eultimate cold weather camera check out a Phillips 4x5.

My feeling is that if you are asking about 58mm and your interestes, or at least initial interests lie more in that direction than longer lenses then there are other choices to consider. First, if you don’t see yourself ever going longer than 240mm give so me thought to the Horseman FA or HD. Compact and lightweight, the most compact of all the metal cameras and possibly the most compact of any field camera except perhaps the Toho and the Gowland. Excels with wide angle lenses too. The FA is in a different price range but you can easily find one used in superb condition for less than the price of a new RW. You also may want to consider the Walker Titan SF or Walker Titan XL. Both are ABS and stainless steel construction (see them at www.walkercameras.com). The SF has an interchangeable bellows and you can easily go down to a 65mm lens with the standard bellows and up to 450mm with ease. Walker’s are rock solid and indestructible. You miay also want to consider one of the Ebony non folders that work with wide angles up to 210 or 240 but you are starting to climb well up there in price.

Octogenarian

Ebony RW45

Laura Lea,

I owned, and shot with the Ebony SV45TE. At my recommendation, my friend purchased an EbonyRW45 from Jim and soon realized that he preferred a metal camera. Jim exchanged it, and he now owns an Arca Swiss F metric. I sold my Ebony, and, the present time, am shooting with a Canham 8X10 metal camera that I recently purchased from Jim.

I'm glad you had the opportunity to talk to Jim. You are on the right track. Stick with it. You can trust Jim's judgement. If you don't like the camera for any reason, you can always send it back for a refund, or exchange it for a different model. Jim is easy to work with.

Ebony RW45

I've owned two Ebony cameras, the SVTi and SVTe. I thought they were the best wood cameras I've owned and I've owned four other brands. I thought some of the statements I've read from others about its rigidity and precision of movements were exagerated, I didn't find it all that rigid or precise but then I was coming to it from a metal Linhof Technika. The Fresnel lens is good with medium to long lenses but like all Fresnels not designed for short focal length lenses it has its problems with lenses of about 90mm or less. The only thing I really disliked was the three focusing knob system (I don't know whether the RW uses the same system or not). I found it extremely aggravating to have to unexpectadly switch back and forth from one knob to the other when bringing things into focus.

Other than that and the difficulty of using the Fresnel with wide angle lenses there was nothing I really disliked about the cameras except that they were wood, not metal. I sold mine and went back to a Linhof Technika. But you seem to be leaning towards a wood camera and I think there is no better camera than the Ebony cameras among the wood cameras unless some other brand has a particular feature that you need and that the RW45 doesn't have.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Ebony RW45

With reguards to the the the woodies. Dampening.